Ergo…I love Magpie from Magpie Musings. Seriously – after reading more of her blog, corresponding with her a bit, I’ve decided that she is DEFINITELY somebody that I’d want to have a beer (or tea) with. Why, you ask? Well, permit me to elucidate, gentle readers:
Rather than leaving it up to me to create an “intro”, or writing up a post herself…she turned my own words back on me. She actually dug out the bullet list from the Inaugural Explanatory Post and ANSWERED them! How cool is THAT?
Her “deadpan delivery” (my perception – and I consider that a HUGE compliment) just kills me – in her writing, and even in her emails! I love it…this is a definite no-nonsense gal who isn’t going to sugar coat it for you. Most importantly? I believe her. She oozes “truthiness”. [/Stephen Colbert]. That’s a valuable commodity in my book.
Now, don’t let my categorization of “deadpan” mislead you – she’s not dismissive or flip about things. Matter of fact, just the opposite – she’s very insightful and can evoke quite a bit of emotion with her writing. I just love how she doesn’t go over the top, y’know? She assumes her audience includes intelligent adults and writes to them. It’s…it’s damn refreshing, that’s what it is!
So, I’m going to give it to you straight, just like I got it from Magpie. And I’m going to follow her and read all her posts. Because I like them. (‘Specially this one. And this one. And this one.) I’m going to follow her because she’s a Mama who still rocks.
And because I’m not above blatent flattery and gratuitous fawning to get that beer…
Let me throw a few questions at you. When is the last time you:
- Found yourself humming or singing kids’ songs when your kids weren’t around?
- We roll pretty lightly on the kid music to begin with, so I don’t sing it when she’s not around.
- Bought or downloaded a cd for yourself since your kiddos were born?
- I haunt Amazon and iTunes, so I’ve bought plenty (and recently) since she was born.
- Had any idea who currently has the #1 song in the nation?
- I have no idea who has the #1 song in the nation, but I’ve never had any idea – having a kid didn’t change that.
- Discovered a new, unsigned indie band?
- I’ve never discovered a new, unsigned indie band
- Gone out to see LIVE MUSIC?
- I haven’t gone out to see live music in a good long time, unless taking the kid to see Dan Zanes counts.
- Even thought about the kind of music that YOU enjoy?
- I often think about the kind of music that I enjoy.
So – here’s my ten – many of which are also favorites of my five and 3/4 year old daughter. Because if you play the music you like when you’re with your child, maybe you can avoid all that kid stuff.
That said, one of my all time favorite kid music records is Peter, Paul & Mommy. We had it when I was a kid, and I think it’s held up perfectly.
(Note: Had to sub a few songs. Thanks LOADS, playlist.com…Ri)
EmmyLou Harris – My Baby Needs A Shepherd
Yo La Tengo – Speeding Motorcycle
Richard Thompson – MGB-GT
Bruce Springsteen – Girls in Their Summer Clothes
Pink Martini – Hey Eugene
Laurie Anderson – Baby Doll
Arlo Guthrie – City of New Orleans
Bishop Allen – Click Click Click Click