Why Jed, you ask? Well folks, we have done struck gold. L.A Stylist Mom REALLY IS ONE. No, you brain trusts…not a hillbilly – a PROFESSIONAL STYLIST from Los Angeles. Pre-kiddos she dressed musicians, bands, actors and actresses, socialites…post-kiddos, she’s sharing this knowledge with other Mamas who don’t want to let go of their grasp of fashion to grasp a Diaper Bag. Her blog is filled with great style finds, killer deals and…and…she actually answers QUESTIONS – all with a very comfortable, relaxed vibe. It’s like if your BFF (who stands in the Nordstrom’s dressing room with you and yaps away at why no jeans will ever fit you because one of your hips is two inches higher than the other) had tact and actually knew what she was talking about. That’s LASM. She truly wants Moms to hold on to their passion for fashion.
Dude – she’s like the STYLE version of ME. (Okay, I’m WAY stretching with that one. I should be so lucky. But, in theory, we are TOTALLY sympatico!)
Now, one might expect a woman who has been paid to tell Rock Stars what clothes to put on and take off to be a tad smug. Eliteist, perhaps. Even snotty. (Think what’s her name who’s always yakking when I’m trying to watch Clinton Kelly). Well, prepare to have your preconceived stereotypicisms (yeah, I made that up, but I love it, and will use it from now on) BLOWN out of the water. LASM is sweet, genuine, down to earth, funny and – well, she could be the living, breathing version of a jar of Nutella.
Seriously – she contacted me with the warmest, most enthusiastic note, a formatted playlist AND liner notes made of total win. When I completely geeked out about her “past life” and asked for some juicy scoop, she remained sweet yet totally professional – no names, and enough tidbits to satiate.
She’s good, I tell you…very, very good. 😉
1. AC/DC is the nicest and easiest band that I’ve ever worked with. Polite, quiet, punctual, easy going, and generally lovely all around. The Young brothers are two of the most sweet, soft spoken human beings I have ever met! As a stylist, how can you not love someone that shows up w/ their own outfit (Angus, of course)?? In the trailer between takes, Brian Johnson was reading a non-fiction book called, “Great Welsh Battles,” which he could not wait to discuss. They rule it.
2. A certain talented and revered “Queen of Hip-Hop Soul” seems to be quite grumpy and aloof.
3. I once worked w/ a rapper turned producer famous for his grill, and an obnoxious sound he made that became his trademark (complete with a doll that made the same obnoxious sound when you would squeeze it). We were shooting in the middle of nowhere CA desert, where he rolled up in a huge limo – posse in tow – threw open the door and proceeded to proclaim loudly, “Where da bitches at?!” Dreamy.
4. The super scary lead singer of a death metal band, is in reality such a whiny little girl, he could scarcely get through a night shoot because he was ‘soooooo tired’ not to mention obsessed with looking ‘fat’ on camera.
5. A spiky haired, blond, British, sex symbol turned crooner cannot get enough Prada.
Derek and the Dominoes – Little Wing:
Doves – Black and White Town:
Jeff Buckley – Lover You Should Have Come Over:
Joni Mitchell – A Case Of You:
The Pixies – Hey:
Shudder to Think – She Might Be Waking Up:
Chris Cornell – Sunshower:
Kings of Leon – My Third House:
Cream – Badge: