Austin City Limits Fest ‘Green With Envy’ Shuffle

So, at the moment I’m safely ensconsed in my cozy home with my hubs and kiddo…enjoying a relaxing, laid back family weekend.

I will freely admit, however, that there IS somewhere I’d rather be.

ACLfest

Yep, it’s this weekend. My buddy Rock and Roll Mama is there, and is torturing me with amazing backstage photos & recaps. Even got a phone call a little while ago.
(Dude – I thought you LIKED me?!?)

*sigh* It’s okay. I’ll be there next year…come hell or high water. In the meantime I’ve decided to assuage my sorrows with my own lil’ concert playlist. It’s a delightfully eclectic mix of bands playing at ACLF this weekend, any of whom I’d give large amounts of valuable stuff to see live one after the other after the other…*sigh*

Next week, I PROMISE the slacking will cease and I will inundate you with daily Guest DJ Shuffles. Seriously – every day next week. I’ll even post a schedule tomorrow. But today? Today I’m shipping the hubs and kiddo off to the Children’s Museum and the park for some “Dude Bonding Time” and I’m cranking this mix up as loud as it will go while I sulk clean.

Damn, I’m jealous.

1.  Deer Tick – Art Isn’t Real (City of Sin)
I LOVE this dude.  Sure, his voice isn’t for everyone.  (read: hubs.  He finds it whiny and grating.) But, Liam and I love it.  He sings along.

2.  Flogging Molly – Rebels of the Sacred Heart
This was the first FM song I ever heard – randomly on the radio ages ago.  I called a record store and sang the chorus over the phone to the dude as soon as I got home to find out who it was.  LOVE them.

3.  JTNL – Slow Train
See current The SWAG and The BUZZ.  Comment to enter to win, you slackers.

4.  The Decemberists – O Valencia!
So quirky and presumptuous.  How can you not love them?

5.  Bon Iver – Flume
Honestly, I go back and forth with Bon Iver.  Some days I get it completely, and other days I find it too affected.  I think if I saw him live I’d decide once and for all.

6.  Citizen Cope – Let the Drummer Kick
Okay, friggin’ playlist totally screwed me on this – NOT the right song at all.  Ah, well.  You’re just going to have to go look it up on your own now.  Worth it, though – totally worth it.

7.  Levon Helm – Got Me A Woman
What, you’re telling me you wouldn’t go see the legendary Levon Helm if you were there?  That’s it – you are officially in Time Out.  No talking for five minutes.

8.  Reckless Kelly – Seven Nights in Eire
What is not to love about Reckless Kelly?  Not a damn thing, I tell you.  For some reason I get the feeling this bunch would be great to have a beer or many with.

9.  The Avett Brothers – When I Drink
Again, thanks to Castrocopia and especially buddies faith and dm, I found this band.  LOVE them, and love that they cite Townes Van Zandt as a huge influence. (Because you know I adore TVZ.)

10.  Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Phenomena
I’d go see them when I was nicely toasted, I think…

11.  Coheed and Cambria – A Favor House Atlantic
I love just about everything I’ve heard from them.  Very eclectic.  I like being kept on my toes.

12.  Thievery Corporation – The Richest Man in Babylon
Thank you, Dori, for the introduction! ;)

13.  B-52s – Private Idaho
Yeah, I’m old.  Shaddup.

14.  Ben Harper & Relentless 7 – Shimmer and Shine
I love Ben Harper on his own, but add Relentless 7 and it’s a downright event.  Would love to hear this song at an outdoor festival, dammit.

15.  Raul Malo  – Downbound Train
Raul Malo, of The Mavericks, has one of those smooth throwback voices that’s still relevant.  I can’t explain it, but I get deja vu every time I listen to him.  Makes you wonder, hmm??

16.  Arctic Monkeys – Cigarette Smoker Fiona
I love this gang way more than I probably should.  Something about the way the drummer smacks it just intimates a big “screw you” that tickles me no end.  When I sing along with them, I unconsciously snarl my lip ala Billy Idol.

17.  Brett Dennen – Darlin Do Not Fear
He’s just sweet, isn’t he?  Bless his heart.

18.  Clutch – The Soapmakers
Ah, Rock and Roll Mama’s hubs band! (He plays a mean bass.) They kick fifteen kinds of ass.  That. is. all.

19.  The Dead Weather – Hang You From the Heavens
What you get when you mix White Stripes/Raconteurs with Queens of the Stoneage and Kills. What else to say?

20.  Pearl Jam – Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town
Eddie Vedder is on my laminated ‘list’.  Oh, yes, he is!

21.  Blitzen Trapper – Wild Mountain Nation
We love us some BT in this house.  All THREE of us, which almost never happens!

22.  Kings of Leon – Molly’s Chambers
Yes, I shall join in the universal KOL lovefest.  Some things you just can’t deny, dude…just can’t.

23 Responses to Austin City Limits Fest ‘Green With Envy’ Shuffle
  1. knowbot
    October 3, 2009 | 10:49 am

Ri O’Laughlin posted: Austin City Limits Fest ‘Green With Envy’ Shuffle http://bit.ly/Rnrdl

2. Ri O'Laughlin
    October 3, 2009 | 11:51 am

New post: My Austin City Limits Festival "Green With Envy" Playlist… http://bit.ly/eUwk3 #acl

3. knowbot
    October 3, 2009 | 1:49 pm

4. Ri O'Laughlin
    October 3, 2009 | 2:51 pm

5. Brutalism
    October 3, 2009 | 6:23 pm

Music festival aside, Austin is a really cool city. With the music fest…can’t even imagine.

6. Starrlight
    October 3, 2009 | 6:34 pm

Molly’s Chambers is one of those songs that I hear it and I wanna shoot a bunch of tequila and then go out and do very very VERY bad things :P
    Starrlight´s last blog ..I’d Like To Make Myself Believe That Planet Earth Turns Slowly My ComLuv Profile

7. knowbot
    October 3, 2009 | 5:49 pm

8. Ri O'Laughlin
    October 3, 2009 | 5:54 pm

My Austin City Limits Festival ‘Green With Envy" Playlist…dammit. http://bit.ly/EuJc4

9. L.A. Stylist Mom
    October 4, 2009 | 2:43 am

No way!!! I had no idea Raul was playing – I was his stylist for years, but we lost touch after I had kids. My book is chock full of his gorgeous pix, however. Thanks for the info!
    L.A. Stylist Mom´s last blog ..My Sister’s Fashion Contribution: Winkers My ComLuv Profile

• Ri, The MSM
      October 4, 2009 | 9:15 am

Shut. UP!!! You were Raul Malo’s stylist??? *sigh* Dude, I have THE COOLEST friends EVER.

Now, your assignment, should you choose to accept it, will be to get BACK in touch with him, and get us a Shuffle. No rush…maybe sometime before Christmas, because I love is Holiday CD. His version of ‘Marshmallow World’ is my fave.;)
      Ri, The MSM´s last blog ..Austin City Limits Fest ‘Green With Envy’ Shuffle My ComLuv Profile

• L.A. Stylist Mom
        October 4, 2009 | 3:19 pm

*SIGH* I was…I used to be cool. Seriously though, he was one of my faves, and we were really great friends. I lost touch with a lot of people after my accident, since my life literally overnight became about something else entirely. I’m happy to have seen this, as its jogged a lot of really nice memories, and I’m going to call him…I’ll find out about your shuffle ; ) He also usually plays The Troubador in November-ish…x

10. Rock and Roll Mama
    October 4, 2009 | 8:22 am

Hey mama! I am sending you a present that will make you less sulky (read:inclined to clean.)

OR, It will make you hate me for all eternity, and my name shall never darkn your lips again. I am hoping for the former- you be the judge. And be assured, I got you more, but this is allllll I cn upload tonight- Oh, did I say tonight? I meant NOW, at 7:21 am, when I have Not. Gone. To Bed. Saw your boy JT play an aftershow at a bar in town tonight (methinks you will be stoked w. results), went out to breakfast with a lovely girl, and…whoops. It’s morning. And I…am old!!!

Sending, then nights out for a couple hours till Dan gets here. Hugs to you and boy, and next year we’ll go- WITHOUT our kids! Mwahahahahahaha.:)

• Ri, The MSM
      October 4, 2009 | 9:11 am

Present?? JT?? STOKED?? Ooooh, I’m all a-twitter! (And not in a Social Network-y kind of way, either.)

Not sure what you uploaded or sent or where you sent it, but considering your sleep deprivation I’ll be patient. ;)

Have fun with the Hubs – we’ll be watching the ACL live streaming of their set today at 2:00pm (3:00 Eastern) here: http://aclfestival.com/2009_files/webcast.html

(And you are not old…says someone who has pulled an all nighter WITH you! ;) )xoxoxo

11. Starrlight
    October 4, 2009 | 12:12 pm

Makers Mark works much better if not mixed with, well mixers. Sunday morning tip for all :P

So what was the present?

12. Devilish Southern Belle
    October 5, 2009 | 12:09 am

Okay, I want to go next year, too, dammit! Am I cool enough to tag along?

The Dead Weather alone is enough to make me want to hightail it to Austin. Of course, I’d be too late, but you get the idea. There’s almost nothing I wouldn’t do to see Jack White!
    Devilish Southern Belle´s last blog ..Do you ever have one of those days My ComLuv Profile

13. Sugar Jones
    October 5, 2009 | 1:34 am

I am insanely jelz of R&R’s Austin trip, too. Maybe I just need to sell everything and move to Austin.

Hey… so Austin… that’s where I first heard the muffin joke!

Which reminds me… thanks for making me laugh. I needed it.
    Sugar Jones´s last blog ..Getting Your Joy Back My ComLuv Profile

October 8, 2009 | 10:12 am

alright… late as usual catching up… wish I would have been at ACL *sigh*

nice playlist… throw some Toadies on there and it’s complete heh heh

15. Hcg Drops Iowa
    August 5, 2013 | 4:57 am

Nice Help and advice, all the best. Suitable for employees who exactly plan to burn fat successfully, attempt our website for the most effective fashion to slim down instantly.