Halloween Music? We’ve got you covered!

Folks…Ri here.  I’ve got a confession. I’m a big ol’ wimp when it comes to scary.

Seriously – I hid behind my Dad’s La-Z-Boy during the Witch scenes in Wizard of Oz when I was a kid. I’ve never seen Halloween, or Friday the 13th, and even a glance at that Chucky doll will give me nightmares for a week. (I just shuddered thinking about it. Blurgh.)

So, when our two resident Goth Goddesses, Starrlight and Devilish Southern Belle, offered to do a Halloween Guest Post, I JUMPED at the chance. (Those two really are angels, but I’d better not elaborate on that, or I’ll totally ruin their Holiday Street Cred.) They didn’t just do ONE post…no, they’ve got THREE, and a ginormous playlist that should take care of your Halloween Party needs quite nicely!

Since they’re tag-teaming, Devilish Southern Belle is starting it off with a Thursday Thirteen made of win! Take it away, DSB…

___________________________________________________________________

Photobucket

Halloween is a special time of year for me. As a child who absolutely adored the spooky, scary, and unusual, I looked forward to it all year long. I continue to do so, even as an adult!

You probably don’t need me to tell you that depending on your preference in movies, music, and literature, and with the popularity of stores such as Hot Topic, every day can now be Halloween (or something like it).

But scary themes have been recurrent in all areas of popular culture for quite some time now. We’ve seen them most abundantly in the entertainment fields in the form of horror movies, novels and comic books, but tv shows and soap operas (anyone remember Dark Shadows and Edge of Night?) have also been known to jump into the world of the supernatural. Still, for the non-spooky-loving masses, most of these themes tend to “creep” up only around Halloween.

For today’s Guest DJ Shuffle (which also happens to be a Thursday 13!), I’ve chosen some songs related to and inspired by some of Starr‘s and my favorite tv shows and horror movies.

First up are four selections from television:

1.Munsters Theme – Derek Wadsworth – The Munsters. I can remember racing inside at 3pm every day to catch The Munsters, one of my absolute favorite tv shows from childhood. I wanted so badly to belong to this family, and I took inspiration from Lily Munster well into my adulthood! I also love this theme because of the ‘surf guitar’ sound that really brings out the Rockabilly Kid-wannabe in me.
2. Addams Family Theme – The Addams Family. I think most people liked this family better than The Munsters, but not me. Though I didn’t like them quite as much, I still made time to watch the show daily, and loved the catchy theme. Who didn’t?
3. Barnabas Theme from Dark Shadows – The First Theremin Era – Dark Shadows. Oh, how I loved Dark Shadows! This is another one I couldn’t miss, and it was quite different from The Munsters and The Addams Family because it was an entire soap opera/drama centered around creatures of the night. And a dream come true for me! I don’t remember the theme being quite this ‘electro’, but it’s been a while.
4. How Soon is Now – Love Spit Love – Charmed. This cover and The Smiths’ original enjoyed quite a bit of popularity thanks to The WB hit Charmed.

Next up are some songs from some pretty famous movies:

5. Halloween Theme – John Carpenter – Halloween. This music, from THE ultimate slasher flick, will always invoke the chills, smells, and ‘feel’ of fall in general.
6. Toccata and Fugue in D Minor – J.S. Bach. This could fit into just about ANY horror or thriller, and if it doesn’t send chills down your spine, then you are a stronger person than me!
7. Cry Little Sister – Gerard McMann – The Lost Boys I was sixteen years old when I first saw The Lost Boys, the ORIGINAL hot vampire teenagers! “Cry Little Sister” really pulled me in; it was so haunting and moody and just perfect for this movie.
8. Pet Sematary – Ramones – Pet Sematary. The movie wasn’t one of my favorites, but the Ramones are my favorite band so I was pleasantly surprised to get one of their songs in this movie. And to me, it definitely has a spookier vibe than other Ramones songs.
9. Dragula (Hot Rod Herman Mix) – Rob Zombie – The Matrix. The Matrix wasn’t a horror movie, but it’s Rob Zombie so it totally counts anyway! The man’s last name IS Zombie, after all. And “Dragula” is based on “DRAG-U-LA”, one of the cars from The Munsters.
10. Summer Breeze – Type O Negative – I Know What You Did Last Summer. You didn’t think I’d have a shuffle without a Type O song, now did you? As with any TON cover, this is a far, far cry from the Seals and Crofts original. Of course, I am partial to TON’s cover anyway, since I am not a fan of “freedom rock” or whatever you’d call Seals and Crofts.
11. Time Warp – The Rocky Horror Picture Show Cast – The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Halloween isn’t Halloween without a bit of RHPS!

And here are two more songs from horror movies….one that you might never even know was on a horror movie soundtrack if not for this post; and the other was just so unexpected I HAD to include it:

12. Sweet Child O Mine – Guns N Roses – Bad Dreams. Unless you are as big a fan as I am (or was) of bad, direct-to-video, obscure 80s horror movies, you would probably never know that “Sweet Child O Mine”, of all songs, was ever in a horror movie. I *knew* I remembered this playing at the end of Bad Dreams, but couldn’t find reference to it anywhere online through the usual channels. Starr and I actually had the discussion of whether or not it was even in the movie, since she didn’t remember it and I couldn’t find it anywhere. I finally had to Google “sweet+child+o+mine+bad+dreams” to find it. And it is good to know I am not insane. Go ahead, see for yourself!
13. Swing Low Sweet Chariot – The Sullivan Family – Cabin Fever. This is a substitution, since playlist didn’t have the Happy Wednesday Band’s version from the movie. So, I was so shocked to have a bluegrass gospel song playing at the end of a rather gruesome horror movie. And there ya have it!

Oh, but we do have a BONUS!

Dracula’s Lament – Jason Segel – Forgetting Sarah Marshall. As a thanks to Ri (who doesn’t do horror) for letting us take over the blog for the next few days, I’ve included “Dracula’s Lament” from Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Enjoy!

For more of this week’s Thursday 13, go here.

Graphic credit for this post goes to DryIcons.com.

43 Responses to Halloween Music? We’ve got you covered!
  1. Ri O'Laughlin
    October 29, 2009 | 5:12 am

How about some Halloween-ish Music to get you in the mood? We've got you covered! http://bit.ly/3h0kJi

2. Devilish Belle
    October 29, 2009 | 6:17 am

Thursday 13: 13 songs from scary movies & tv @MusicSavvyMom! http://bit.ly/3a11jV

3. Ri O'Laughlin
    October 29, 2009 | 8:12 am

4. Thursday 13
    October 29, 2009 | 9:26 am

[...] a list of songs included in and/or inspired by horror movies & tv, and it can be found here at Music Savvy Mom! If you get a chance, stop by and let us know what you think! Share and [...]

5. Harriet
    October 29, 2009 | 9:39 am

Love that Munster’s theme song!

Have a great Thursday!
    You should join us on Monday for Monday Mayhem.
    Harriet´s last blog ..I Challenge You to Leave 1000 Comments!!!!!!! My ComLuv Profile

6. Devilish Belle
    October 29, 2009 | 9:17 am

7. Dane Bramage
    October 29, 2009 | 10:32 am

Interesting collection. I prefer The Smiths to Love Spit Love even though the LSL version is shorter.
    My T13 is up. 13 Facebook Applications to Help You Waste Time Stop by if you get a chance.
    Dane Bramage´s last blog ..Thursday Thirteen #3 My ComLuv Profile

• Devilish Southern Belle
      October 29, 2009 | 6:07 pm

I do as well, but chose this specifically because it was the version that was Charmed‘s theme.

Thanks for stopping by!
      Devilish Southern Belle´s last blog ..Thursday 13 My ComLuv Profile

8. Starrlight
    October 29, 2009 | 1:09 pm

LOVE THE BACKGROUND! No seriously I made “ooo look the pretty lights” sounds when I saw it.

Nice Work, Belle Mah Dear! Halloween is a wonderful time of year because everyone suddenly loves the things I do 365 days a year!

And let us all raises hands and give a WOO WOO for the upcoming Dark Shadows remix with Johnny Depp as Barnabas.

9. Starrlight
    October 29, 2009 | 1:09 pm

Comment love hates me :P
    Starrlight´s last blog ..Hey It’s Thursday! My ComLuv Profile

• Devilish Southern Belle
      October 29, 2009 | 6:15 pm

It hates me the first few times after I clear out my cache, which sucks because I do that at least once a week.
      Devilish Southern Belle´s last blog ..Thursday 13 My ComLuv Profile

10. Devilish Belle
    October 29, 2009 | 1:17 pm

11. Brutalism
    October 29, 2009 | 2:45 pm

Great list! I, too, count the Ramones as my favorite band and love Pet Sematary. And when did I realize I was marrying the right guy (you ask)? When we both Time Warped at our wedding reception — him while wearing my shoes in a very Tim Curry move. Love the spooky theme…

• Devilish Southern Belle
      October 29, 2009 | 6:16 pm

“Time Warp” was all Starr. But I did include it because it’s definitely not Halloween without the Time Warp!
      Devilish Southern Belle´s last blog ..Thursday 13 My ComLuv Profile

12. she
    October 29, 2009 | 3:21 pm

i played janet in The Rocky Horror Show (the stage musical version) so i’m glad you listed time warp!!! happy tt!

• Devilish Southern Belle
      October 29, 2009 | 6:17 pm

Oh, how awesome! I have friends who do RHPS every year, but I’ve never been able to see them :/
      Devilish Southern Belle´s last blog ..Thursday 13 My ComLuv Profile

13. Devilish Belle
    October 29, 2009 | 6:05 pm

14. Susan H Gottfried
    October 29, 2009 | 6:06 pm

I'm there now! RT @devilishbelle: Be sure to go check out the first of our Halloween playlists @MusicSavvyMom – http://bit.ly/3a11jV

15. Starrlight
    October 29, 2009 | 8:45 pm

Rocky Horror in general is a Halloween must =)
    Starrlight´s last blog ..Hey It’s Thursday! My ComLuv Profile

16. Alice Audrey
    October 29, 2009 | 8:53 pm

That is a thoroughly spooky shuffle.
    Alice Audrey´s last blog ..102/365 Two for the rail My ComLuv Profile

17. Susan Helene Gottfried
    October 29, 2009 | 9:12 pm

Oh, jeez. If this is how the three days are starting, I’m going indoors (that’s a TOTAL inside joke that any old-timer from Pittsburgh will get. Sorry to drag you into it, but man, it fits.)
    Susan Helene Gottfried´s last blog ..BTT: Blurbs My ComLuv Profile

18. Devilish Belle
    October 29, 2009 | 9:05 pm

19. katherine.
    October 29, 2009 | 11:55 pm

came over via Starr…fun playlist…
    katherine.´s last blog ..The Peace Movement. My ComLuv Profile

20. Devilish Belle
    October 30, 2009 | 1:05 am

21. Susan H Gottfried
    October 30, 2009 | 1:06 am

22. Tracie
    October 30, 2009 | 3:41 am

Thanks for stopping by!!

I loved watching reruns of Dark Shadows when I was a kid. I wish they would put it back on tv so that I could start at the beginning and watch them all the way through!
    Tracie´s last blog ..-I’ve Been Booed!! Eek! My ComLuv Profile

• Devilish Southern Belle
      October 30, 2009 | 8:19 am

Me, too. I think I must have watched the reruns of all those shows. And I never saw any of them from beginning to end!
      Devilish Southern Belle´s last blog ..Thursday 13 My ComLuv Profile

23. Jessica The Rock Chick
    October 30, 2009 | 9:41 am

Great choices!!! Even after all this time, Rocky Horror still remains one of my favorite shows! (I’m actually thinking of going tonite! haha!) Thank you for the nice comments on my blog! Love the few posts I’ve scrolled through on yours so far. I’m very glad you found me, too!!!!!
    Jessica The Rock Chick´s last blog ..Busted! (Thursday Thirteen #40) My ComLuv Profile

• Devilish Southern Belle
      October 31, 2009 | 1:18 am

Thank you for coming by here! You know…you could totally submit your own Guest DJ Shuffle (hint, hint!)
      Devilish Southern Belle´s last blog ..Thursday 13 My ComLuv Profile

24. Celticlibrarian
    October 31, 2009 | 1:38 pm

Cry Little Sister! Yes. I loved The Lost Boys. Death by Stereo!