Ri’s Shuffle for Medicinal Purposes…

This week is already made of Suck, and it’s only Tuesday.

I’m in a foul mood, I think I’ve got a chest infection, the house is a mess, my sister is supposed to be coming over later today to watch Liam while I take our Father to the doctor, but she’s not answering the phone,  it’s raining, I am SO far behind on work/emails/Google Reader that I’m about to lap myself, and I am COMPLETELY out of coffee – I only got two cups this morning.

(I complain alot, don’t I?  Hmmm….)

Anyway – I dug out yet another post from Vacuity that seems to fit my needs today.  It first ran in December of 2008.  Enjoy!

___________________________________

December, 2008:

Shuffling for Medicinal Purposes…

…because my Christmas Out of Town Company (my mother in law) is still here…my son contracted some godawful stomach bug, and I have been puked on twice in the past two days and am changing diapers that honesttocheeses should be sealed and sent to toxic waste dumps…because of said bug, son and I haven’t left this house in three days and we are both seriously stir crazy…which may account for his less than stellar behavior ALL DAY TODAY.

Now, none of these things individually would likely be enough to set me on edge, but the sum of all the parts has created a need to put on my headphones and sit at the computer listening to music, rather than watch a Jane Austen movie with hubs and MIL.

Truly…it’s medicinal. Much like the large coffee cup filled with rum that I intend to bring to bed with me as soon as I finish this.

And, totally unrelated…when the hell did this blog become all about music? Speaking of music – I’m pretty sure you can click on the player to “pop out” in some newfangled interwebby way, so as to enjoy these tunes as you continue to surf elsewhere. Or, you could just open it from here.

Maybe I’ll bring back a mug of rum and a bowl of chocolate-peanut butter ice cream…?

Amos Lee: Street Corner Preacher
Love him. If you don’t, you should.

Squeeze: Slap and Tickle
Ahh, Squeeze! For some reason, this song reminds me of driving home from college in my tan Toyota Tercel hatchback.

Leadbelly: Black Betty
My almost three year old son LOVES this. I really need to get him on video dancing around the living room to it – boy knows a good beat when he hears it. This track has held up since 1929 – despite all of the swinish covers that have been made. (Although…I do kinda like the Tom Jones version. Is that wrong?)

The Cult: She Sells Sanctuary
Perfect for my medicinal needs tonight. I was banging my head ever so slightly, so as to remain cool and go unnoticed.

of Montreal: Cato As A Pun
I FLOVE of Montreal. Thanks, Liz.

Nick Drake: Pink Moon
*sigh* Nick. Gone too soon, dude.

Nina Simone: Do I Move You
Another snafu by the ratbastids at playlist.com – I WANTED “Be My Husband”, dang it! (That one always gives me chills.) They didn’t have it, so you get this. Doesn’t really matter – it’s Nina.

Kenny Loggins: I’m Alright
Oh, bite me. It’s the theme to CADDYSHACK. Made of win.

Ben Harper: Better Way (Peace Mix)
I actually have the War Mix. But, this is what we got. Either way – nice.

ZZ Top: La Grange
Just like slipping on some fuzzy bunny slippers…and then sliding around the living room in them, playing air guitar.

Echo & The Bunnymen: Lips Like Sugar
Proof that the ’80′s didn’t totally suck. Reminds me of a party at Dawn F’s house in High School, where a ton of her brother Marc’s way hot older surfer buddies showed up. Quarters, skinny dipping in the pool and all manner of other diversions ensued. Ahhhhh, memories!

22 Responses to Ri’s Shuffle for Medicinal Purposes…
  1. Ri O'Laughlin
    October 27, 2009 | 6:39 am

New(ish) Post: If your week is shaping up like mine – made of Suck – here's a Shuffle for Medicinal Purposes: http://bit.ly/1qWFss

2. AspiringOne
    October 27, 2009 | 7:31 am

Hang tough baby! RT @MusicSavvyMom If your week is shaping up like mine – made of Suck, Shuffle for Medicinal Purposes: http://bit.ly/1qWFss

3. Mari
    October 27, 2009 | 10:04 am

I’m not sick anymore.
    I’m decidedly not depressed.
    The sun shines again in OKC and yet … this Tuesday morning feels crappy.

So thank you, Ms Ri for filling my musical needs and commisserating with me!

You rock (hard) but you don’t need me to tell you that. ;)
    Mari´s last blog .. My ComLuv Profile

4. Ri O'Laughlin
    October 27, 2009 | 9:39 am

5. Devilish Southern Belle
    October 27, 2009 | 10:47 am

She sells Sanctuary is one of my favorite songs EVER by one of my favorite bands EVER! I hope you are feeling better soon. As you can see by my latest post, I am feeling sick, too. Thankfully no chest nastiness yet, but stuff is pouring out of every orifice on my face and I’m stopped up. I’m even having to forgo the TON show I’ve been looking forward to for a month. I think. I may still go, but I doubt it. I look terrible, too.

Anyway….thanks for more music to listen to, and feel better soon!
    Devilish Southern Belle´s last blog ..Tamiflu….my new best friend! My ComLuv Profile

6. LaMereJoie
    October 27, 2009 | 10:53 am

She Sells Sanctuary… I am feeling better already. Well at least mentally. Thanks!!!
    LaMereJoie´s last blog ..If it ain’t really broke… My ComLuv Profile

7. Susan Helene Gottfried
    October 27, 2009 | 12:36 pm

How can I like such mellow rocker-types??? The blues are awesome, though. Such good stuff — and so important for the musical development that’s brought me the hard and heavy stuff I love.
    Susan Helene Gottfried´s last blog ..Susan’s Book Talk: So? Whatcha reading? My ComLuv Profile

8. AspiringOne
    October 27, 2009 | 2:31 pm

9. Tiffani
    October 27, 2009 | 3:35 pm

Just heard some Amos Lee at Ruby Tuesday, where my mother-in-law took me to lunch. We also hit Books-a-Million, where I bought a crapload of magazines to study in order to query them, but which I won’t be able to read until oh, about 11 p.m. CDT because I have to work. Dangit.

Nice shuffle! Hope everyone who is sick gets well quick!
    Tiffani´s last blog ..Who had more fun at Disney World? My ComLuv Profile

October 27, 2009 | 11:18 pm

Ruby Tuesdays…I haven’t been there since I was pregnant and wanted Salad Bars non-stop!

Ohhh, man. Now I want, and I’m going to be without wheels tomorrow. Sufferin’ succotash!

(Yep – I’ve been into the rum…)
      Ri, the MSM´s last blog ..Ri’s Shuffle for Medicinal Purposes… My ComLuv Profile

10. Ri, the MSM
    October 27, 2009 | 4:41 pm

Y’all are awesome. Coming home and seeing notes from my buds ALMOST makes up for the “Check Engine” light coming on in my car…

(Pardon me while I go look for the rum…LOL!)

• Devilish Southern Belle
      October 27, 2009 | 5:08 pm

Share some with me! You know how upset I am! And the check engine light? Mine’s been on for ages. I took it to the mechanic and they could find nothing wrong with it. It’s just old, and the light comes on and off. How’s that for peace of mind?

October 27, 2009 | 11:16 pm

Awww, DSB, I’m sorry you feel yucky. :( I would SO hang out on sofas under snuggies in jammies and drink rum toddies with you if we were neighbors! (Even if we weren’t sick…)

Car is now in parking lot of mechanic’s awaiting “diagnostic tests”, per hubs. Liam and I are grounded tomorrow, so I guess I’ll be around alot – is that a good or bad thnig? LOL

11. yoga ninja mama
    October 27, 2009 | 10:52 pm

*dies* omg. i just tried to comment and my internet explorer timed out. now my comment is gone *kicks wall and cries*.

*sighhhhh* well, the most important part of the comment was where i announced that i had an explosive orgasm when you said (aka typed) “rum and a bowl of chocolate-peanut butter ice cream”.

i’m spent.

October 27, 2009 | 11:13 pm

BWAHAHAHAHA! Oh, yep, you’ll fit in just fine around here, gaJama!

Yeah, if you have a long name, I ALWAYS shorten it. Ask T-Loth or DiPM. Call it your “Rapper Name”. (And in your case, the J MUST be capitalized, but nothing else. Crucial.)

It’s a term of endearment…and laziness. ;)