Angels and Bean Dip and Drunks…Oh, My!

As you’ve come to expect, there will be a Ginormous, Over the Top, Much too Much Holiday playlist of gargantuan proportions here at Music Savvy Mom.

chevy
Soon.

But, this is not it.

This is a recycled post from Vacuity which I first posted on December 23, 2008. I’m pilfering myself (oh, my, that sounds naughty!) because I am absolutely snowed under this weekend.  (Well, okay, not LITERALLY …it’s in the mid 50’s and sunny, but you get the point.) Thanksgiving  over, guest gone, Christmas cleaning/reorganizing/decorating in full swing.  Ho -ho, Yo.

I’ll get back to work presently.  In the meantime, enjoy this aural hodgepodge and maybe drop me a comment about some stuff you’d like to see show up around here.  I’m lacking both focus AND inspiration, lately.

(What exactly do I PAY you people for, again?  Honestly!)

———————————————————-

My three favorite Christmas Songs, for your holiday enjoyment.

I’m nothing if not diverse…

1. Pueri Concinite: Jean Baptiste Maunier and the Vienna Boys Choir

(Go ahead – don’t get chills. I double dog dare you. I’m just sayin’…)

Lyrics in Latin:

Pueri concinite Nato regi psallite Voce pia dicite Apparuit quem genuit Maria Sum implenta quae praedixit Gabriel Eia, Eia, virgo Deum genuit Quem divina voluit clementia Hodie apparuit Apparuit in Israel Ex Maria virgine natus est Rex!

Lyrics in English:

Sing together, children, sing songs to the newborn King; in pious tones, say: He who was born of Mary appears. Now we see fulfilled the word of Gabriel: Eya, eya! The Virgin has given birth to God, As the divine mercy willed.

2. Merry Christmas from the Family: Robert Earl Keen

(Lest anyone be confused…THIS is the original. Robert Earl Keen wrote it. The Dixie Chicks, Jill Sobule, Montgomery Gentry and whoever else desecrated this gem with “covers” should be patently ignored.)

Lyrics

3. Fairytale of New York: The Pogues with Kirsty MacColl

I can’t hear this without singing the chorus at the top of my lungs. (Usually followed by beer. Often preceded by beer too.) RIP, Kirsty. Happy Christmas, Shane.

Lyrics

13 Responses to Angels and Bean Dip and Drunks…Oh, My!
  1. Ri O'Laughlin
    November 29, 2009 | 10:11 am

New post at Music Savvy Mom – Angels and Bean Dip and Drunks – Oh, My! – http://bit.ly/6Rq4J9

2. Ri O'Laughlin
    November 29, 2009 | 12:11 pm

3. Devilish Southern Belle
    November 29, 2009 | 3:47 pm

Great but short list! Let me know when the holiday post is going up so I can get my ideas to you….or add them to the playlist if there is an interactive. Well, if my choices aren’t already added by earlier birds than myself!
    .-= Devilish Southern Belle´s last blog ..Can anyone recommend =-.

4. Susan Helene Gottfried
    November 29, 2009 | 4:11 pm

Bleck. Christmas.
    .-= Susan Helene Gottfried´s last blog ..Susan’s Music Talk: Oh, Adam =-.

5. Music Savvy Mom Blog
    November 29, 2009 | 5:11 pm

6. Around the web today….
    November 29, 2009 | 5:49 pm

[…] Savvy Mom has posted three of her favorite holiday songs and a story to go with each, to help get you in/add to your festive […]

7. Vienna Boy's Choir
    November 29, 2009 | 6:17 pm

Angels and Bean Dip and Drunks, Oh, My! | Music Savvy Mom: My three favorite Christmas Songs, for your holiday enjo… http://bit.ly/6Lciu8

8. Starrlight
    November 29, 2009 | 11:39 pm

Fairytale’s of New York is in my Top 5 as well. I have to go check the sign up sheet for my day! Oh and I will try to get the Morrissey review written up for you by Friday.
    .-= Starrlight´s last blog ..Black Friday! =-.

9. Vienna Boy's Choir