Why am I not Icelandic?

Seriously.  While I’m very proud to be Italian and French Canadian (as far as I know), I now feel a bit gypped that I don’t appear to have ANY Icelandic blood.

I mean – not ONLY are most of these people GORGEOUS:

but I’ve just learned that genetically they are NOT pre-disposed to SAD – Seasonal Affective Disorder.  Matter of fact, they appear to be the LEAST susceptible of all Earthly peoples.  This may explain why they’re able to remain chipper while sitting on ice-cubes and hob-nobbing with Arctic Puffins, but regardless – this would be a good time for me to have been an Icelander.

Why, you ask?  Because I believe I have SAD.  Yup – I’ve been trying to figure out why I’ve been in this godforsaken funk for the past few months – no energy, even less motivation, eating like somebody wrote me a free pass.  I even asked my doctor to “Emeril” my regular anti-depressant dosage and BAM!  he kicked it up a notch.  Only marginal improvement.  Seriously – this is getting really annoying.

Then last night, as I was surfing the interwebs…or Twitter…or Facebook, I dunno – I came upon two words that hit me like the swinging door to a walk-in freezer.  ”WINTER BLUES”.  Dude!  That’s IT!  I started thinking about our unseasonably cold weather recently…and the seemingly endless dreary days. I live in the Mid-Atlantic, and while we do have noticeable changes in Season…we don’t normally resemble the Northeast!  And then there’s my unusual need to “hibernate” – well, as much as an active three year old in the house will allow.  I thought about those long, dark,  heavy tapestry-like curtains that I put up in early November, in an attempt to help block drafts and keep our heating bills in check. I thought of my recent need to have EVERY damn light in the house turned on, and how I still think it’s dark in here…

And then I looked up the symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder:

Per Wikipedia:  Symptoms of SAD may consist of: difficulty waking up in the morning, tendency to oversleep as well as to overeat, and especially a craving for carbohydrates, which leads to weight gain. Other symptoms include a lack of energy, difficulty concentrating on completing tasks, and withdrawal from friends, family, and social activities. All of this leads to the depression, pessimism, and lack of pleasure which characterize a person suffering from this disorder.

Well, I’ll be damned.

Now, while I assume that I’m not ALONE in this situation, I’m not going to suggest to you ways to rectify it. Nope, you found this blog, so you obviously have sufficient ability to navigate a mouse and keyboard to seek those out yourself; I want no responsibility for explaining to your significant other why you just purchased three cases of broad spectrum lightbulbs and a negative air ionizer from Sam’s Club. Besides – everyone’s different.

(I’ll say this, though – I’ll be getting my ever-growing derrierre out the door for a walk in the sunshine right after I hit “Publish”!)

BUT…I felt SO much better once I realized that I could ascribe a name to this lousy feeling that I just felt compelled to share. Now, how about making me feel not-so-nutty and commiserate? How ’bout you – anyone else out there feeling funky? If so, drop me a comment and take a listen to this playlist…maybe it’ll help. Okay, maybe not HELP…but at least you’ll know someone else “gets it”… ;)

Love y’all!
xoxo Ri :)

12 Responses to Why am I not Icelandic?
  1. Ash
    January 18, 2010 | 3:53 pm

clappity clappity ;-)
    Ash´s last blog ..hang with me folks… My ComLuv Profile

2. Melisa with one s
    January 18, 2010 | 5:52 pm

I can’t stop thinking of that infernal swan dress whenever I see Bjork.

My husband has SAD too; that’s why he constantly reminds me how he only lives in Chicago FOR ME. He hopes that we’ll end up in Arizona someday. :)
    Melisa with one s´s last blog ..Navigating the Bar My ComLuv Profile

3. Ash
    January 18, 2010 | 8:57 pm

another badass playlist. bravo. RT @MusicSavvyMom New post: Why am I not Icelandic?? (it's about the Winter Blues) http://bit.ly/4mLUAc

4. Brilliant Sulk
    January 18, 2010 | 9:59 pm

That’s weird. I’m Italian and French Canadian too.

I also love Bjork. However, can one suffer from SAD year round? Because getting out of bed in the morning totally sucks…

Just stumbled onto your blog from…I don’t actually remember but I really love the concept!

January 18, 2010 | 10:11 pm

Thanks! (I’m totally not sure what to call you. I normally shorten names to initials, but I don’t know you well enough to call you ‘BS’…)

Hope you stick around. ;)
      Ri, the MSM´s last blog ..Why am I not Icelandic? My ComLuv Profile

5. Tiffani
    January 18, 2010 | 10:30 pm

Raising my hand here! Sleeping until 11? Check. Eating chips and drinking Mt. Dew like they’re going outta style? Check. Sitting on couch or desk chair … all day? Check. Dealing with stressful family crisis? Check.

I was so happy to see the sun shining today! And in two weeks, my nights will be my family’s again!

I hope things start looking up for you, too!
    Tiffani´s last blog ..Hemingway’s "A Moveable Feast" My ComLuv Profile

6. Melisa
    January 18, 2010 | 10:53 pm

7. Tiff Hill-Patterson
    January 18, 2010 | 11:14 pm

RT @melisalw Are you S.A.D.? Check it, at Music Savvy Mom! "Why am I not Icelandic?" http://bit.ly/5HAgPr

8. Maria O'Laughlin
    January 19, 2010 | 3:22 am

New post: 'WHY am I not Icelandic?!?!" (It's about the Winter Blues. And yes, there is a playlist.) http://bit.ly/5FRYLw

9. Melisa
    January 19, 2010 | 3:25 am

RT @MusicSavvyMom: New post: 'WHY am I not Icelandic?!?!" (It's about the Winter Blues. & yes, there is a playlist.) http://bit.ly/5FRYLw

10. Melisa Wells
    January 19, 2010 | 3:25 am

11. Heids
    January 19, 2010 | 3:02 pm

I can’t blame my not wanting to get up in the morning-ness on SAD because it’s true for me year-’round. I’m just a night owl.

My husband’s solution for getting up in winter mornings is one of those weird sun clocks. He swears by it. Might be worth a shot.

Oh? And Icelandic women? You should see the flight attendants on Icelandair. Blonde goddesses.
    Heids´s last blog ..Atop Sugarloaf Mountain My ComLuv Profile