My luve is like a great old shoe…

(Yes, that was a really bad play on Shakespeare.  They can’t ALL be winners.)

Well, my day in the sun over at Today’s Mama has passed…another Mama’s playlist is up now, so I figured I’d let you see (and hear) what I sent over.

(Y’know – since I’m fairly certain that not ALL of you trucked over there to check it out.  Yeah, you know who you are.  *ahem* )
Enjoy, and since I haven’t reminded you lately:

If you love it, BUY IT.  Support the artists – I want no starving musicians on my conscience.  Swiper, no swiping!

xoxo,
Ri

___________________________

“Make a playlist of love songs.”

Boy, is that a loaded request!  Which kind of love – young, new, unrequited, passionate, comfortable, crazy, enduring? They all describe the same emotion, and may all be used to accurately describe a different stage of the same life – of the same love.  (But – they don’t all necessarily belong in the same playlist…)

Now, even in my “young love” days, I was not a fan of the hearts and flowers.  As the years (all 42 of them) have passed, and love has grown into marriage and motherhood, I find that the love songs I most appreciate are the ones referencing how real – and hard – love can be.  It’s not all glamour, it’s not all fun, and it’s definitely not always exciting.  But…it’s solid.  It’s comforting.  It’s tenacious.  It’s TANGIBLE.

That’s the kind of love song that I will be listening to as Valentine’s Day 2010 approaches.  I’ll be reminding myself that neither of us is perfect, and we like it that way.  Hearing about lost love will remind me how lucky I am to have found and kept mine.  I’ll laugh when I think of how silly we were then, and how relaxed and content we are now.  And on February 14th, when we’re sitting on the sofa in our sweats instead of wining and dining on the town, I’ll slip my hand into my hubby’s and we’ll listen together…because he feels the same way I do.

Of course he does.  We’re in love. 😉

———————

———————

The Milkman of Human Kindness – Billy Bragg
“If you are sleeping, I will wait.  If your bed is wet, I will dry your tears. I love you.”
Boots of Spanish Leather – Bob Dylan
“I’d forsake them all for your sweet kiss, for that’s all I’m wishin’ to be ownin’.”
Never Let Go – Tom Waits
“Well, you’ll leave me hanging by the skin of my teeth, I’ve only got one leg to stand
You can send me to hell but I’ll never let go of your hand.”
Say Yes – Elliott Smith
“I’m in love with the world through the eyes of a girl who’s still around the morning after.”
Love Like the Movies – The Avett Brothers
“Now in the movies they make it look so perfect, and in the background they’re always playing the right song
And in the ending there’s always a resolution; but real life is more than just two hours long.”
A Rainy Night in Soho – The Pogues
“You’re the measure of my dreams.”
Song for You – Ray Charles
“I love you in a place where there’s no space or time; I love you for my life, ’cause you’re a friend of mine.”
In Spite of Ourselves – John Prine and Iris DeMent
“He ain’t too sharp but he gets things done; drinks his beer like it’s oxygen
He’s my baby and I’m his honey; never gonna let him go.”
Remember the Mountain Bed – Jeff Tweedy (Wilco)
“Your shape and form is dim but plain, there on our mountain bed
I see my life was brightest where you laughed and laid your head…”
Patty Griffin – When it Don’t Come Easy
“If you forget my love I’ll try to remind you and stay by you when it don’t come easy.”
10 Responses to My luve is like a great old shoe…
  1. Belle
    February 2, 2010 | 10:48 am

Love your wedding photo!
    .-= Belle´s last blog ..Today is the day =-.

2. Belle
    February 2, 2010 | 10:49 am

Or…your photo! I already commented on the music yesterday.

Hey is CommentLuv picking up everyone’s latest post? Because this isn’t my latest post :/
    .-= Belle´s last blog ..Today is the day =-.

3. Music Savvy Mom Blog
    February 2, 2010 | 1:55 pm

New post! "My luve is like a great old shoe…" (apologies to Shakespeare.) http://bit.ly/dCOcn4

4. Pasty Muncher
    February 5, 2010 | 12:29 pm

I wonder if a wedding would benefit from having thes at the reception – read this feature suggesting a heart shaped valentine’s pasty

Remember a couple that Munch together stay together

Munch on
    .-= Pasty Muncher´s last blog ..Valentine’s Day – You Aorta Know Better =-.

5. Lorene
    April 28, 2016 | 2:16 am

Je kunt ook gewoon in het nederlands schrijven aangezien de meeste reactie van nenarledders zijn. Een beetje silly he om te communiceren in een andere taal onderling. Ook weer zoiets typisch Nederlands

6. car insurance quotes
    June 4, 2016 | 8:10 am

Now I’m like, well duh! Truly thankful for your help.

7. online car insurance
    June 4, 2016 | 12:37 pm

Grattis till 2 år! Här kikar jag alltid in och njuter av fina bilder och självklart vill jag gärna prova lyckan!Ha en fin helg.Kram, Carina

8. kredit privat tel muenchen gesucht suche
    October 22, 2016 | 11:49 am

My husband and I got divorced four years ago and we made a point of staying friends.Why should you fall out with one another when you have shared so many memories and experiences?

9. tarifgruppen versicherung innendienst
    November 3, 2016 | 7:26 am

Assalamualaikum, Wr. wbDear rekan2 Stokis di depok,Saya di batam kebetulan mempunyai downline baru di depok,Beliau kesulitan mau blanja produk HPA, sudah mencoba telp stokis2 dsana kata y NO telp tdk aktif, untuk perdana saya kirim dr batam, tapi sebetul y saya kasihan karena hrs nambah ongkir,Ibu itu nama y : Halimah Sa’dyahd.a jl erha gang waren rt 05/rw 07 no. 81 kelurahan gandul kecamatan cinere, depok. hp 081314384732Makasih,Yuni/ hp 0878794079210

10. hausratversicherung provinzial preis
    November 5, 2016 | 1:49 am

Je reviens entre deux : Germaine Tillion (décédée récemment) a écrit Ravensbruck, et on voit bien au fur et à mesure de la lecture que des femmes étaient aussi « moches » que des hommes dans une période très difficile de l’Histoire, certaines femmes dans un contexte précis (oppression) noyaient des bébés dans un seau d’eau, et il se passait un certain temps avant qu’ils meurent, imaginez la souffrance est impossible !