Pardon me, but…did you just Blip?

I do.

And I find more new music on Blip.fm these days than perhaps any other single source on the web.

Now, I’m not saying it’s THE best place to find music.  (Remember – I totally made that “Music Savvy” shit up.  I haven’t begun to tap all the sources for discovering music on the web.) I’m just saying that in my Mom world, where I have a zillion things going on at once, Blip fits.

In the family of Social Media, Blip might be described as the aural second cousin to Twitter.  Want to hear a particular song?  Search it – select it –  blip it.  Other folks see/hear what you’ve played…if they like it, they may follow you. This puts the songs that you play into their real time “stream”, or ongoing playlist. You do the same with “DJs” you enjoy.  Pretty soon, you find yourself “blipping” with the same folks.  It’s comfortable – like you and your buds are programming your own XM station.  Sorta.

I’ve realized that I’ve been turning to Blip more frequently than my own iPod lately.  When I’m in the kitchen, I log into my Netbook on the shelf and hit play.  My Blip Buddies roll the tunes while I cook dinner, pack lunches or load the dishwasher.  In the living room, I crank up the volume on the Desktop while I fold laundry or pick up the seemingly endless trails of toys strewn hither and yon.  And in the evening I enjoy background blipping while I work on the Laptop with my feet up on the ottoman.  In all cases, I’m constantly finding myself stopping to check the queue to find out who plays THIS song, to hit repeat on THAT one or Google THOSE bands.  I’ll throw the DJ some “props” and a thank you for the discovery and go back to what I was doing, secretly wondering HOW they could possibly have such encyclopaedic knowledge of music, and wishing I were half as cool as they are.

So, this is actually a “Thank You” to @RadioFreeIllinois, @mammara, @DuncanDogg, @FoggieLoaner, @dickadcock, @Atomik and @MissDiggity – awesome Blipsters I found early on and whose steps I’ve dogged ever since. They’ve introduced me to more awesome music than they will ever realize. So many more folks jump on that list daily – there would be no way to mention everyone.  I should really thank y’all more than I do.  (Hey, I’ve got a three year old – does that get me a pass?) I may not say much, but I listen…oh, boy, do I listen! And you never disappoint.

And so gentle reader…if you Blip too, or if you’re game to try now – come find me over there. (@MusicSavvyMom, just like on Twitter.)  Or, leave your screen name in the comments, and I’ll add you…maybe then I’ll finally get to hear what y’all actually listen to. *ahem* If you have any “Blipstars” that blow you away, list them, too, dude – share the love.

Remember when we hung out in our dorm rooms and swapped mix tapes in college? It’s kinda like that.  C’mon.  I’ll crack a beer for you and skooch over to make room in the Papasan Chair…it’ll be fun. 😉

10 Responses to Pardon me, but…did you just Blip?
  1. Music Savvy Mom Blog
    February 11, 2010 | 5:32 am

New Post on Music Savvy Mom: "Pardon me…but, did you just BLIP?" http://ow.ly/16br4

2. Loxlee
    February 11, 2010 | 5:59 am

I’ve not used Blip.fm yet but might give it ago. I use Last.FM and Spotify most of the time to find and listen to things at the moment.
    .-= Loxlee´s last blog ..Album Of The Day: Tim Barry – Rivanna Junction =-.

3. Melisa with one s
    February 11, 2010 | 7:37 am

I am in disbelief as I realize none of us have ever blogged about Blip before. Good one! :)
    .-= Melisa with one s´s last blog ..Take a Flying Leap =-.

4. Mari
    February 11, 2010 | 11:56 am

I’m in! Thanks for telling me about something else that I didn’t know I couldn’t live without!

5. Starrlight
    February 11, 2010 | 12:00 pm

Ack…more sites :p I can’t stand twitter, personally. It’s too chaotic for my tastes. I might try blip though. Sounds interesting!
    .-= Starrlight´s last blog ..Genius Is As Genius Does =-.

6. Susan Helene Gottfried
    February 11, 2010 | 2:08 pm

Okay, I’m not blipping. Know why? that whole “find songs you want to listen to” bit.

It’s better if the songs come to ME. So, I’m playing with Pandora on my laptop. Even though it seems to think I really dig Christian music. Which, I sorta do despite its message. A lot of it is better than the usual stuff.
    .-= Susan Helene Gottfried´s last blog ..Thursday Thirteen: NOT ripped from the headlines =-.

February 11, 2010 | 2:46 pm

I’m confused – pr more likely, I wasn’t clear…that happens alot. 😉

The music does come to you – that’s the point. Initially you can put in artists you like and Blip will recommend folks to follow based on your genre choices. Then you don’t have to blip a thing or search a thing – just sit back and let the tunes come to you!

(And quit being so contrary, Rizzo – sheese. Come and hang with us! LOL)
      .-= Ri, the MSM´s last blog ..Pardon me, but…did you just Blip? =-.

7. Tiff Hill-Patterson
    February 11, 2010 | 4:52 pm

I Need to get with the program! RT @MusicSavvyMom Posted on Music Savvy Mom: "Pardon me, but…did you just BLIP?!" http://ow.ly/16mwh

February 11, 2010 | 6:15 pm

I personally love Blip.fm, and blipping. But I think I irritate some Twitter and Facebook followers with my shares. Oh well.

I still don’t really have the hang of it yet, but I like it when I have the chance to listen.
    .-= This Belle Rocks´s last blog ..Thank you =-.