UPDATED: The Friday Fact Sheet Fiver: Volume 2

Update – Sunday, May 1, 2010:

I love you guys – lol.  LOVE the honest, no bs feedback!  And, in the same spirit, I give you my opinions – in red.  I think I’ll work it this way as a rule – put the music up on Friday, then my two cents on Sunday.  I’m just updating so you can compare my take with those in the comments already. :)

See below:

Okay, gang – you know the drill. (If not, go read up and come right back.)

This time I think I’ll add photos to jazz it up a bit. Still facts, right? I mean, that’s what they look like…

————————————————

1. Like Trains and Taxis – Bullet to the Brain

Release Date: April 6, 2010 on the CD “Tales from a Revolving Door”

Website

Random Factoids: They were labeled “Badass New Band of 2008” by the Asbury Park Press.

Dude, seriously – how can you not LOVE these guys?  I didn’t find its repetition grating – I loved how it built to the unexpected bridge!  This is the one of the five that I’ve found myself going back to over and over.  And, the rest of the CD is as good or better, imho.

2. Flugente – Apeman (Kinks Cover)

Release Date: Y’know, I’m not entirely sure…but it’s on Flugente 2

Website

Random Factoids: Flugente (pronounced FLOOG-en-teh) is the solo project of former The Blam front man Jerry Adler.

Okay…I like this, but not *in love*.  His original stuff is definitely eclectic, and I like that…but it didn’t grab me as much as I’d hoped it might.  That being said, I think this sound is one that would grow on me, so I’m going to give it more time to do that.

3. FlyinFisch – Too Much Info

Release Date: March 19, 2010 on the CD “FlyinFisch”

Website

Random Factoids: The product of a multi-cultural upbringing (in Caracas, Venezuela) , Adrian grew up in a home filled with classical, pop, reggae and theater music.

Okay – I FLOVE this guy.  Now, those who know me will do a double take since this track definitely has the Techno feel, and I’m widely known for liking Techno/Electronica with the same fervent ardor that I reserve for root canals.  Having said this…I didn’t totally hate this particular song.

BUT…since I’ve had the pleasure of hearing the whole CD, I’ve gotta say that Adrian makes good use of his myriad influences.  OMG – the song “Air” is soooooooo good. And “Blueberry Oats” was just this side of perfect.  (Men, take note of these lyrics…just sayin’.)  I definitely will reserve more “me time” that includes giving my full attention to the whole range of music included in this CD.  Do yourself a favor and hit iTunes to hear at least snippets of the tunes I mentioned.  Srsly.

4. Elogy – London

Release Date: To be released July 6, 2010

Website

Random Factoids: After playing together in a warehouse for 45 minutes, they formed the band.

…dare I admit that I couldn’t listen all the way through?  I just…it’s technically really good, but the style just isn’t my fave. That said, though, it did not escape my notice that more than a few of you put Elogy at or near the top of this group!  Maybe I’ll check out a few other songs and give them another go, based on your take.  (Ahhh, the beauty of collaborative listening!)

5.Pogues – Rainy Night in Soho

Release Date: 1985 in the expanded version of “Rum, Sodomy and the Lash”; 1986 on the EP “Pougetry in Motion”

Website

Random Factoids: Okay, this one is a plant – because today is my Fifth Wedding Anniversary.  And because when it comes to my husband:  “I’ve been loving (him) a long time…and (he’s) the measure of my dreams.”

Well…DUH.  I love Shane and the boys, natch. This song is one of my favorites for it’s unexpected-ness.  This and “Summer in Siam”.

————————————————————-

Oh, and just in case I didn’t make it clear enough in the last post – I’m lucky enough to get some brand spankin’ new music from industry PR folks by way of gratis download, which I then share with you for your listening pleasure here.  No expectations of “good reviews” – they’re aware of the terms of the Friday Fiver, and are TOTALLY game.

I should mention, though, that in some cases – especially when CD’s haven’t dropped yet or have JUST come out –  they ask that I only post certain songs…hence my “oh, but you should hear the OTHER stuff!” comments.  It’s just the nature of the beast – I’m not trying to give you the ol’ bait and switch, promise. :)

Thanks for playing along – we’ll keep it up as long as you enjoy it!

xoxo

Ri

28 Responses to UPDATED: The Friday Fact Sheet Fiver: Volume 2
  1. Lesley
    April 30, 2010 | 3:43 pm

RT @MusicSavvyMom: Vol 2 of the "Friday Fact Sheet Fiver" up-some brand spankin' new & one not yet released! Get your music critic on! http://ow.ly/1FdUb

2. LaMereJoie
    April 30, 2010 | 4:17 pm

How fun. I love hearing new (new to me) music. I really liked Elogy – London. They have a great sound. And FlyinFisch – Too Much Info is has a good beat. Plus he’s pretty hot so that helps too! lol

Happy Happy Anniversary!
    .-= LaMereJoie´s last blog ..Lazy Sunday French Toast =-.

3. Dipaola Momma (aka DiPM)
    April 30, 2010 | 4:27 pm

“Do you remember that sunny day? Somewhere in London in the middle of nowhere…didn’t have nothin’ to do that day, didn’t wanna do nothin’ anyway..”

Obviously I need to check out more than just the facts on NEW music.

April 30, 2010 | 5:01 pm

Love the choices this week! My favorites are FlyinFisch, Flugente, and OF COURSE, The Pogues!

5. Mari
    April 30, 2010 | 5:02 pm

1. Hmm, “badass” may be a stretch, but it is ultimately listenable in a non-confrontational kind of way. In the interest of full disclosure, I stopped listening before it was done out of boredom.

2. This one I like more. It’s got the tongue-in-cheekiness that I adore. But still a bit too non-confrontational. I listened to the end. Bonus points for surprising but appropriate f-bomb usage.

3. I saw the picture of the cutie in the dreads and thought immediately of cruncy granola … but instead it’s a bit clubby. It’s Eddie Grant + Missing Persons – Lady Gaga. I listened to the end.

4. Moody. When I saw that they played in a warehouse, I expected something less polished and more punky. When I saw the name, though, this is exactly what I expected. Not for me … though as the guitars opened up there toward the end I got a little twinkle …

5. This is more like it! Now if that new music would just live up to the standards set by the old … *sigh*
    .-= Mari´s last blog ..Yeah, well, there’s that. =-.

• Melly
      April 28, 2016 | 6:08 am

With all these silly weteibss, such a great page keeps my internet hope alive.

April 30, 2016 | 9:17 pm

(Personal Computers) I’m truly surprised by this kit. each accessory is useful, works great, I wanted something to cover my device until I found something else, but I need not look any further. The cases are durable, stylish, and the price is fantastic

June 21, 2016 | 5:13 am

I got the peanut butter coupon from the "Life Makes You Hungry" Publix coupon sheet, which I found on a stand near the entrance of my Publix store a few weeks ago.

July 20, 2016 | 11:25 am

It certainly was entertaining last season when the packers got beat by Favre twice.Also, besides holding the ball for 20 hours, do you guys like how instead of just taking the sack, Aaron Rodgers actually flipped the ball to the defender? And that the blitz came from the strong side so that Rodgers could see it coming and did it anyway? Priceless.

November 4, 2016 | 2:19 am

hola quisiera saber como hago para estar al tanto de cuando hay un llamado para nfermeria yo hace un año y medio que estoy en actividad en es hospital militar desde ya muchas gracias.

November 16, 2016 | 1:39 am

De la mejor comida que probé en San Cristoblal. Silvestre es muy amable y su pastel de chocolate con helado no tiene madre, esta sabrosísimo. Si quieres vivir toda una experiencia gastronóniza, tiene que visitar entropia. En la noche la música es muy buena y el ambiente es bastante agradable. Además, está a unos solos pasos del Hostalito. Muy recomendable.

6. rainbowlite
    April 30, 2010 | 5:06 pm

I have a soft spot for The Pogues. I guess it’s because Dexy’s Midnight Runners never blew up like I thought they would.

7. Lisa
    April 30, 2010 | 5:08 pm

1. Like Trains and Taxis – Bullet to the Brain: OK, a bit too monotone for my taste. Certainly don’t get the ‘badass vibe ?

2. Flugente – Apeman (Kinks Cover): Totally spaced out and didn’t even realize it was over. yikes.

3. FlyinFisch – Too Much Info: Not my style but totally cute. My head was boppin….

4. Elogy – London: Enjoyed this one the most.

5.Pogues – Rainy Night in Soho: Awww :)

Happy Friday!
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..Foundations =-.

8. Cinnahippie
    April 30, 2010 | 5:21 pm

Thanks for the introduction to Elogy…liked them very much. Notsomuch the others, although FlyinFisch was aiight. I think I might like to hear more from him before buying his music though.

9. katie v
    April 30, 2010 | 5:56 pm

Soon! RT @MusicSavvyMom @ThisBelleRocks Need some new music? Head to Music Savvy Mom for Friday Fact Sheet Fiver Vol 2 http://ht.ly/1FnjL

10. Janice
    April 30, 2010 | 6:18 pm

liked Trains and Taxis, Fluegente (oh Kinks cover no wonder he sounded like something I knew), eh on FlyingFsch but a boy in dreads is always cute, Elogy was ok, something I might listen to and sorry, never heard of the Pogues. They’re ok but probably not something I’d have in my collection.
    .-= Janice´s last blog ..More on the Second Generation =-.

11. Rock and Roll Mama
    April 30, 2010 | 6:50 pm

LOVE the Pogues! Shane’s diction is so interesting on account of his teeth. xoxo!L

• Malinda
      April 28, 2016 | 9:29 am

Inlägg kan bara läggas in i kategorier. Du kan skapa en kategori som heter Internet och när du skriver inlägg för den kategorin markerar du bara kategorin ”Internet” sÃ¥ kommer det inlägget visas bÃ¥de pÃ¥ förstasidan bland alla andra inlägg och när man klickar pÃ¥ kategorin &#t;n1;I28ernet&#82212.Lägg även in kategori-widgeten sÃ¥ listas alla kagetorier som har inlägg associerade med sig i din sidomeny.

12. LaMereJoie
    April 30, 2010 | 8:20 pm

13. Lara DiPaola
    April 30, 2010 | 8:34 pm

@MusicSavvyMom: Vol2 "Friday Fact Sheet Fiver" brand spankin' new & one not yet released! Get your music critic on! http://ow.ly/1FdUb

14. Tiff Hill-Patterson
    April 30, 2010 | 8:40 pm

RT @MusicSavvyMom Vol 2 of "Friday Fact Sheet Fiver": brand spankin' new & 1 not yet released! Get your music critic on! http://ow.ly/1FdUb

April 30, 2010 | 9:15 pm

Like Trains and Taxis~ it would have been “badder” ass without the singing. The music I really liked (though not enough to listen to the whole thing)

Flugente~ I like his voice and his volume manipualtion. Good groove, a little Sufjan Steven-ish. Like it!

FlyinFisch~ Too techno for my liking and had a hard time with the Reggae vocals marrying that. I like multi-culturall influences. Sometimes they work better than others. Vampire Weekend does a good job with it. imho

Elogy~ I’m listening with headphones and felt dizzy at first with the sound switching ears haha!! I think this was my favorite of the “non-planted” songs! Didn’t expect much from “just the facts”. Pleasantly surprised

The Pogues~ Aww Happy Anniversary, Ri!! Poguetry in Motion was a soundcheck for a chunk in high school.. what a beautiful song and thought… The measure of my Dreams

16. yoga ninja mama
    April 30, 2010 | 10:14 pm

She rocks <3 RT @MusicSavvyMom: What she said! RT @ThisBelleRocks: Need some new music? Head to Music Savvy Mom http://ht.ly/1FnjL

17. Maxine
    May 1, 2010 | 12:48 am

I liked the last two. The Pogues song reminded me a little of Tom Waites.
    Happy Anniversary!
    .-= Maxine´s last blog ..Teaser Tuesday- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society =-.

18. Melisa
    May 1, 2010 | 1:35 am

Check out The Friday Fact Sheet Fiver: Volume 2 @ http://musicsavvymom.com/2010/04/the-friday-fact-sheet-fiver-volume-2/

19. katie v
    May 1, 2010 | 3:00 am

Fun to play "music critic" @MusicSavvyMom Head to Music Savvy Mom for Friday Fact Sheet Fiver Vol 2 http://ht.ly/1FnjL

20. Brutalism
    May 1, 2010 | 2:20 pm

Um…I don’t even own an iPod, and still I visit. I guess to be encouraged that other people still find and listen to good music. Maybe one of these days…

21. MisterLucky13
    May 2, 2010 | 10:43 am

1. – Liked it overall, the singer reminded me of a less affected Dave Matthews and somebody else I can’t quite figure out. Heavy use of minor chords gives it a little bit of a spooky vibe. Enjoyed this one.

2. – Short intro and melody had me singing ‘Lola’ in my head before I read that it was a Kinks cover. Nice enough, pleasant, but nothing that a lot of other people couldn’t do just as well. Would like to hear something original by him.

3. – Started off on the wrong foot with this one just based on the picture. Thought it was the actor Bill Pullman from a movie early in his career than nobody talks about. That said, I liked it more (or disliked it less) than I expected. Sounds like the theme song for a hipster tech TV show on the G4 network.

4. – Found the clicking in the intro really distracting. Obvious Coldplay vibe. Heavily processed vocals during chorus a turn-off. Kinda boring. Meh.

5. – Great anniversary song! Best song of the lot, even without the special meaning. TMI: Susan & my song is ‘Heroes’ by Bowie.