I can’t tell you how often I have these random “MSM” related thoughts run through my head. Not really post topics, not really blog worthy fodder – just random musings in relation to the site that I’d love to bounce off someone before attempting implementation.
I’d mention them to my husband, but while he’s incredibly supportive (and NEVER so much as raises an eyebrow when he comes home from work and I’m still in my PJs and the house is a mess, but I’m grinning like a Cheshire cat because figured out some FABULOUS new way to add code to embed individual songs)…he really couldn’t give a shit about specifics here.
So, I’m going to run them by y’all. Call this a “stream of consciousness post”. Feedback in the comments MOST appreciated.
1. RE: Artist “interviews”. Y’know, I’m getting some opportunities for those. Not Bono or anything, but still – definitely good artists who deserve well thought out questions. Problem is – I’m the Mother of a four year old, dude. I have a hard time formulating a thought beyond “Holy shit, we’re almost out of coffee!” or “What do you mean it was my day to bring snacks to soccer practice?”, let alone doing justice to an actual interview.
Part 2 of that is that a good chunk of the folks who hang here are ALSO Moms. I know from my own experience that you don’t have any more time to READ well thought out interviews than I have to do them. Am I wrong in assuming that getting the heads up about an artist, a link to where to find more info if you’re so inclined, a listen to a song and maybe an interesting, quirky tidbit is what you’d expect to find here…or would you rather I extrapolate that out to a more brooding, detailed critique?
(Frankly, I’m fine with leaving those to the angst-ridden teen Music Bloggers and the trendy late-twenties urbanite hipsters. I like my music info like I like my coffee – hot, fresh and slightly colored. What? Flavored creamers FTW, people!)
But, I WAS thinking that coming up with five standard yet completely off the wall questions might be fun – ala James Lipton @ Inside the Actor’s Studio. Or maybe I’ll just rip those off. A few fun, random questions and maybe a request for the artist to give us a ten song iPod shuffle could be fun…and it would be something easy I could email out and they could email back. What say you all? And, if you like the idea – what questions should we ask?
2. If I built it – would you come? I’m talking about a forum…attached to this blog where you could sign in and just yap. Y’know, make threads – chit chat back and forth – just pop in whenever you had a second. I’ve belonged to them and have made some wonderful, wonderful friends that way. And frankly, there are nights that Twitter bores the bejesus out of me, and hubs is watching sports and I’m too brain fried to deal with Facebook or actual writing or research…but I’d love to sling some witty back and forth with my homies…maybe talk some random music or snark at the TV together?
I’m not asking for a commitment or anything – just testing for interest. Besides – I’ve been itching to see if I COULD set up a forum. It’s one computer task I haven’t yet mastered, and I’d like to. So, whaddaya say – got any Guinea Pigs?
3. Redecorating. I’m thinking maybe I’ll redesign the blog again. Nothing huge – but I have some plugins and hooks on this theme that don’t play nicely together. So, if you see some construction around here, don’t worry – I’m going to do it while we’re live rather than take any “down time”. Just don’t trip over any tools lying around, because my insurance sucks.
4. Guest Blogger DJ Shuffles. Remember those? Yeah, they were a HUGE part of the initial building of this site traffic, and we all loved them…but, I began to feel like it was sort of disingenuous of me. I mean – when a blogger did a guest shuffle, naturally a ton of their established readers would come over to see it, right? And luckily, many of you stuck around. But, I stopped them for a while because I felt guilty for “trading in” on someone else’s traffic. I thought perhaps I should establish myself here and let you see if you thought there was a reason to come OTHER than the Guest DJ Shuffles. And, thank baby cheeses, you have!
So, I think we’ll start those up again…but I’m not sure where. See, that other collaborative music site that I’ve been threatening you with telling you about for AGES is going to done before MSM’s one year anniversary (first week in July) come hell or high water. I was thinking that might be a good time to start them again – and maybe even make them a once a week regular feature that I do over there. (I don’t feel bad about bringing new folks to THAT site, because it’s a site made up of six now-established bloggers. We don’t gotta prove nothin’ to nobody, yo! LOL 😉 )
I’m not ready for them YET, but soon I’ll be putting out a call for folks who’d want to be featured with a Guest DJ Shuffle…so if you want in – holla!
5. Whatcha Want? So…what do you like BEST about this site? What do we not do that you’d like to see? What do I do that annoys the snot out of you? (Not saying I’ll change anything…but, I’ll listen! 😉 )
I know there’s more, but I promised a certain little kiddo a trip to Target for a new toy train. Duty calls!