Spontaneous Ode to Coffee

This just came to me whilst boiling eggs, packing lunches and loading the dishwasher this morning – all while clutching my steaming, aromatic brand new Mother’s Day coffee mug.

If it stinks, don’t blame me. It’s as if it wrote itself with very little assistance from me.  I mean, really –  I’m only on cup number one, and it’s Monday. I did one type through with no changes, ’cause that’s just how I roll.

I’m a purist.

I’ll probably add a Playlist later, after I drop Liam at Pre-School, hit the grocery and have two more cups…

One Mom’s Spontaneous Ode to Coffee

I love the way you jack me up,
You hot, black velvet in my cup
And gird my mood for battle fair
with toys and poopy underwear.

My busy day I’m dearth to face
Until sweet coffee’s had it’s place
Upon my breakfast table where
I move the laundry piles with care.

I gently nudge the bills away,
Refuse to let work have the sway
To mar the blissful waking mood
that rich elixir doth exude.

Come sing with me of college years
Grey all-nighters, hangover tears
And all the foibles forced to flee
By coffee’s steadfast loyalty.

Ah, yes, dark friend! We owe to you
So much in life we’re wont to do
Careers, achievements, breeding too –
Without you…we’d just sleep right through!

To you, sweet beans, we give attention
To whining kids we shall not mention
The truth that’s proved each day anew…
The one I love the best is YOU!

25 Responses to Spontaneous Ode to Coffee
  1. Mari
    May 10, 2010 | 8:45 am

Yay – love this :) Esp the “poopy underwear” reference, it’s like you are spying on me (LOL)
    .-= Mari´s last blog ..Friday Fiver =-.

May 10, 2010 | 8:46 am

Yeah, I should probably have added the codicil that the poopy underwear in question is NOT mine…
      .-= Ri, the MSM´s last blog ..Spontaneous Ode to Coffee =-.

• Mari
        May 12, 2010 | 8:59 am

LOL – I should hope not! Or else there would have been a “thanks, ‘oops I crapped my pants’ reference in there.
        Mothers everywhere can appreciate an appropriately-used feces reference 😉
        .-= Mari´s last blog ..Friday Fiver =-.

2. Claudine
    May 10, 2010 | 5:35 pm

BRILLIANT!

May 10, 2010 | 7:47 pm

Claudine, whoever you are…I think I love you. *MWAH*! You just made my day! lol
      .-= Ri, the MSM´s last blog ..Spontaneous Ode to Coffee =-.

• Claudine
        May 10, 2010 | 10:35 pm

Oh, Ri. I wish I could tell you that I was some fantastic blogging diva like you, but I’m NOT! I’m just a soon-to-be 40-year old mother of two who works full-time and happens to love coffee (apparently) just as much as you!

I tell you, it’s running through my veins all hours of the day. I’d start a petition for it to be considered its own major food group if I thought I could get enough people to sign the darn thing!

By the way, I loved the music you chose to reflect upon the “Coke Syrup” memories. My son (who happens to be Liam as well!) was jammin’ out to Jim Croce and Looking Glass with me this evening! I also distinctly recall a car trip to my grandparents’ house in which my youngest sister threw up as Debbie Boone’s “You Light Up My Life” was on the radio…. Ah, yes, good times!!!

May 11, 2010 | 8:33 am

Claudine, mah dear…you must be slippin’ something stronger into your coffee if you think I’m a blogging diva! bwahahaha!

and, I’m 42, so I hope you were smiling when you typed “soon-to-be-40”. 40 is the new “Damn, I am CUTE.” 😉

I will ABSOLUTELY sign that petition. I’ll even sign it in coffee grounds to prove how serious I am.

Your sister has both perfect comedic timing AND a highly developed “crap music sensor.” (And perhaps a weak stomach. Hope she’s grown out of that.) Anyway…upchucking to Debbie Boone? I approve. *clappity, clappity*

You’re fun, dude! Stick around, will ya?
          .-= Ri, the MSM´s last blog ..Spontaneous Ode to Coffee =-.

• Claudine
            May 12, 2010 | 11:36 am

Ri,
            I’m one of those freaky women who actually looks FORWARD to birthdays. Seriously, I cry every year when the clock strikes midnight following Jul 15th. I love them that much! When people ask me why, I tell them I prefer birthdays far more than the alternative…. (e.g., none because you’ve croaked!) I’ve informed my husband that there will be Hell to pay if he doesn’t throw a giant “surprise” 40th party for me this Summer. I’m always looking for a reason to party with my friends!

By the way, I’ll get the petition going on facebook. We’ll see how many followers we can get! (Can I get a “woop woop”?!!)

As for my sister, I’ll have to share your thoughts on the “crap music sensor.” She’ll get a kick out of that! Of course, now it has me questioning WHY my oldest sister and I loved singing that ballad so much to our siblings when we rocked them to sleep….. Perhaps we weren’t as hip as we thought we were? ….. OR ….. Maybe it was just because we didn’t know all the words to Abba’s “Fernando,” or “The Winner Takes It All.” Could you imagine being sung to sleep to those songs in the late 70s? Ha!

3. Dipaola Momma (aka DiPM)
    May 11, 2010 | 7:19 am

WOOT! I’m powered by that stuff. You, my dear, have done it again!

May 11, 2010 | 8:12 am

Holy Crud!!! Claudine!! I truly had completely erased You Light Up My Life from my memory bank!!

Ri!! The Rich, Dark Brown Elixir is my first love!! Thanks for letting it speak through you!

• Claudine
      May 12, 2010 | 11:37 am

This is for you, Oh_Pook!

“So many nights
      I’d sit by my window
      Waiting for someone
      To sing me his song…..”

…………….. Can you feel it?!

• oh_pook
        May 12, 2010 | 11:35 pm

don’t make me hunt you down!!

You share my husband’s birthday and my birth month and year!… I guess I’ll forgive you for unleashing that hell back into my brain!

• Anonymous
          May 13, 2010 | 1:18 pm

We cancers must stick together, sista!

Here’s something to take Debbie out of your head: Name THIS song!

“Do that to me one more time
          Once is never enough with a man like you.
          Woa, do that to me one more time
          I can never get enough of a man like you, oh.”

May 13, 2010 | 1:24 pm

Oh, sweet cheeses…now they’re bringing out the big guns! Captain and Tennille? *shudder*

Well, it could have been worse. It could have been “Muskrat Love”. (Which, for the record, was not nearly as heinous when America did it…)
            .-= Ri, the MSM´s last blog ..Spontaneous Ode to Coffee =-.

• Claudine
              May 13, 2010 | 5:01 pm

Before you talk smack on them any further, Ri, I’ll bet you a MILLION DOLLARS that you (and many other women of our same age) sported the “Tennille cut” at least one year during your first 10 years of life. I know I did! I bounced back-and-forth between the Tennille cut and Dorothy Hammil’s “short and sassy” do.

5. Ri, the MSM
    May 11, 2010 | 8:37 am

DiPM & pook – I really think I was temporarily possessed by my Keurig machine. Ever since we got it I’ve sort of felt that it’s controlling me.

(And, frankly, I don’t mind. 😉 )
    .-= Ri, the MSM´s last blog ..Spontaneous Ode to Coffee =-.

6. thepeachy1
    May 11, 2010 | 10:41 am

Perfect to start my day… your fanwondertabulistic.

7. Lara DiPaola
    May 11, 2010 | 11:18 am

The BEST ode to coffee EVER! @musicsavvymom you KILL ME! http://musicsavvymom.com/2010/05/spontaneous-ode-to-coffee/

8. Melysa
    May 12, 2010 | 12:05 pm

RT @MusicSavvyMom: Somebody say "coffee"…? 😉 http://ow.ly/1K282 RT @MelysaS: Need. More. Coffee.

9. Claudine
    May 12, 2010 | 11:13 pm

Ladies, is it just me or does K.D. Lang’s “Black Coffee” make coffee sound naughty? I had no idea I was such a dirty girl!

May 12, 2010 | 11:38 pm

Thanks to Black Coffee and Squeeze being on the playlist and Claudine talking dirty… Well I keep thinking about the best groan in any song in my humble opinion… it’s toward the end of Squeeze’s Tempted… *sigh*

May 13, 2010 | 1:26 pm

That’s notsomuch a groan as an…enthusiastic “ohhhhhh”, is it? Well, damn – now I have to go listen again.

If my floors don’t get vacuumed today, it’s pook’s fault. Just sayin’…
      .-= Ri, the MSM´s last blog ..Spontaneous Ode to Coffee =-.

11. Spy pigeon
    June 5, 2015 | 9:48 am

This is amazing and world media making fun of this spy pigeon arrested by indian police and is in jail now! LOL you should see full story here at viralberg

12. […] musicsavymom.com […]

13. ode-to-coffee-dunkin-donuts
    September 29, 2016 | 7:53 am

[…] part its played as my friend thoughout my life. However, when I came across this little poem from Music Savvy Mom, it seemed to sum it up […]