Friday Fiver: The One You’ll Be Glad You Heard

Today’s Fiver has a theme.  Hearing.

Recently I was approached by some folks involved with the Hear the World initiative, which is dedicated to discussing the topic of hearing and hearing loss – an issue that affects 16% of the world’s population.  They’ve been working with music icons for the past three years to raise awareness about the importance of hearing while also educating the public about the consequences of hearing loss.

I was asked to help spread the word about a contest they’re having, and of course my answer was an emphatic yes…for many reasons which I’ll detail for you later.  If you’d like to get an early jump on the specifics of the contest go check the details, but be sure to come back here Sunday for more personal info from me when I post the Scoop.  (Hint:  Photos are involved.  Prizes are good.  Subject is important, and everyone can help.)

For today, though…your assignment is slightly different than usual.  See, the five artists whose songs I’ve added below are all Ambassadors for the Hear the World initiative.  I wouldn’t be surprised if you’d heard all of these songs already, and these voices are instantly recognizable.  Today, I’ll ask you to listen again with “new ears”.  Not for whether you like them; not for the specifics of musicianship or artistry.  Listen to the SOUNDS.  Separate the layers consciously as you hear them. Enjoy every beat; every melody.  Think about what that means…what an awesome gift that is!

To my mind…when you consider everything in context…there is no bad music.  Every single bit of it is beautiful. (Yes…even *gulp* Electronica.)

G’head and comment on the songs per usual, but I hope you’ll think about what you’re hearing throughout the rest of this weekend.  Sounds you love; sounds you normally miss in the hustle of the day.  Sounds you regret not hearing more often.  Think about the people in your life who have challenges with hearing.

Then come back Sunday.  We’ll compare notes.  But for now…enjoy the music.  😉

————————————————-

Track 1:

Track 2:

Track 3:

Track 4:

Track 5:

8 Responses to Friday Fiver: The One You’ll Be Glad You Heard
  1. Ash
    June 25, 2010 | 7:51 am

i love all my senses. and i use as many of them as i can when experiencing music. it makes me very sad to think about a time when i might not be able to. great selection. #4 is by one of my all time favorites. Looking forward to the “aha!” moment that is #2 also…

June 25, 2010 | 8:52 am

What a nice diverse playlist and for an even better cause! I kid you not, I put earplugs in my purse first thing this morning… Cage the Elephant tonight! heh heh

3. DiPM
    June 25, 2010 | 10:39 pm

WOW what a small world. We’ve been discussing this topic at home tonight. Though my DARLING hubby taught my three year old that the “bird” means “momma”… NICE! I have a cousin who is on the board for educators for ASL.. and my girl Bailey of http://www.makeovermomma.com is both HAWT (like SarJo’s twin sis) is legally deaf and ToTalY an awesome mom gettin’ it “done” for her kiddos whilst looking as AMAZING as she is incredible…. MUCH like today’s FIVER!

4. Mari
    June 25, 2010 | 11:08 pm

Wow, that was a collection of layered little gems. Love it.
    One day with I was driving w/my kids (ages 5 & 8) in the car, they were completely amped & yelly. All I wanted to do was chill & listen to music (which is pretty much all I want to do like, ever). So I told them it was MUSIC APPRECIATION TIME! Sit back, listen to the music and tell me what you hear. They picked apart the instruments and we discussed the parts of the song. It was awesome. Now the will spontaneously tell me when they hear certain instruments in songs and it’s pretty freakin’ awesome.
    Thanks, Ri!

• Mari
      June 25, 2010 | 11:17 pm

Yeah that is supposed to say that my kids are 5 and 8 but it turned my number-eight-next-to-a-close-parens into that Risky Business smiley face.

June 26, 2010 | 1:08 am

I can’t wait to come back and read Sunday’s post……and find out who some of these amazing artists are :)

6. Ri, the MSM
    June 27, 2010 | 7:43 am

I promise I’ll get the Sunday post up this afternoon…there’s a pic I need to get for it this morning. 😉
    Ri, the MSM´s last blog post ..Friday Fiver- The One You’ll Be Glad You Heard

7. Jennifer
    June 27, 2010 | 3:49 pm

I like this new assignment :)

It’s been awhile since I’ve really listened for the SOUNDS in a song–maybe since taking music courses in college. It’s so easy to just let the music play in the background and it’s so easy to forget how gorgeous every second is.

Ri, fantastic song choices. Track 1 always takes my breath away, track 2 always makes me smile…and tracks 3 to 5 are all new to me!
    Jennifer´s last blog post ..jennko- -BentheNavigator no problem- I really liked the article and the visual – And personal stories always help drive the point home