Friday Fiver – Volume 7, I think…

Or is it 8, because I didn’t number the last one?  Ah, screw it – it’s the one for June 11th.

Five songs await your review.  Thumbs up or down…what say you?

As usual, I’ll throw my hat in the ring on Sunday.  Aaaannnnnd, go!

———————————————————————————-

Track 1:

Track 2:

Track 3:

Track 4:

Track 5:

12 Responses to Friday Fiver – Volume 7, I think…
  1. Ash
    June 11, 2010 | 8:34 am

my favorite Fiver so far.

Ok, #1 and #4 are too easy for me. I obviously love both of these songs and these bands. I am looking forward to seeing the reactions here though.

#2 is very Peter Gabriel to me, with a splash of something else. Been Caught Stealing? I don’t know…lol. But I definitely like it.

#3 is terrific. I absolutely love this one. Very retro, new wave-ish with a bit of a soul/R&B backbeat. Cannot wait to hear more, if I haven’t already.

#5 Mrazy sounding cover of one of the “those songs” I just kind of understand and like. But I will now listen to this version over the original. No doubt about it. Cannot wait to own this one either.

In other words, Ri…send me the whole damn list, please. Kthx.

2. DiPM
    June 11, 2010 | 8:40 am

Okay.. 4 sounds like Cage the Elephant to me. I know #1 isn’t Bon Jovi but it sort of has that feel. NOT digging 3 and ma ma mamma says if you can’t say nothin’ nice then you the debil. .so I’ll shut up there. I’ve played 4, 3 times now and haven’t gotten past it. I think there is a bug in my program.. or a snake in my boots or some crap like that.

3. Anonymous
    June 11, 2010 | 9:07 am

I think 4 is the only one I know, I know… got my tickets for Friday the 25!!!!

1. This was the only one I didn’t LOVE. It’s a little too 80’s hairband-ish for me… I agree with DiPM
    2. this one grabbed me from the start. Definitely digging the harmonies, beautiful
    3. Love this too… total groove!
    4. CTE FTW
    5. The voice on this one seems really familiar. (is it DCFC?) The latin-y sound reminds me of David Byrne’s Rei Momo.. but then it throws in some very current sounding… Love This!!!

June 11, 2010 | 9:09 am

^^^that was me… I don’t know why, but I have to type my name and email everytime now…

5. Mari
    June 11, 2010 | 10:54 am

Okay so this is the one where I compare all the songs to artists I’ve heard before. I made a concerted effort to listen before reading any comments so I didn’t get influenced. So here goes nothing.

1. Hmm. This has a Rob Thomas meets Nickelback vibe to me. Not unlistenable but not remarkable for me. And as a general rule, I’m not a fan of songs that refer to technology (a la REM’s ‘Star 69,’ Beyonce’s ‘Videophone’ and the like) so the “twenty missed calls” part I find annoying. Not for me.

2. Promising start with the percussion. This song sounds kind of therapeutic. It sounds like a song I would use to soothe a mood; a song that would be buried in my subconscious but would pop up when I needed to hear it but not really something I would listen to often. Love the harmonies. The melodies remind me of an old Barenaked Ladies song.

3. Funky start. Tries to reach that bit of an aggressive edge that I like but never quite leaves the Steely Dan behind, which is tragic.

4. Ooh. Yeah, that’s the ticket. A little HIVES-ish which is good. Love the dirty sound, always makes me happy. My favorite so far of what I’ve heard.

5. My first thought when hearing the horns? OMG Chicago has put out a new record! Slows down from there. A little bit of Frank Zappa in there with the melody shifts. Kind of funky, kind of lounge-y, kind of not really for me.

• oh_pook
      June 11, 2010 | 11:43 am

agree on the #1 having that Nickelback gravel-y voice thing going on. I’m not a huge fan of Nickelback, (meaning I don’t own any) but man they put on a great show. I went for Sick Puppies and Breaking Benjamin this year and was so plesantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the whole show.

• mari
        June 11, 2010 | 3:52 pm

Live shows are always better – I’ve often found that if I can only tolerate music, I usually like it better when I see that band performing it live. And if I alreayd love the band? Then it’s like a big slap of buttercream on top! 😉

6. Ri O'Laughlin
    June 11, 2010 | 12:33 pm

@dipaolamomma Woman, there is music waiting for you. GO. http://musicsavvymom.com/2010/06/friday-fiver-volume-7-i-think/

7. ThePeachy1
    June 11, 2010 | 5:56 pm

Ok here I go
    #1 – just right for rock vibe
    #2- felt sort of folk infusion in there like a nice little across the pond jam
    #3 – I could listen to that while driving, that’s kind of a nice casual drive song
    #4 – not for me, too much reverb and bass I probably would have liked it better if my eardrums had not been subjected to screamo garage bands in real life so it turns me off now.
    #5- If Chicago and REO Speedwagon had a flower child this would be it.

8. Aspiring
    June 12, 2010 | 12:31 am

Okie Dokie. I did what I usually do. Listen, if it doesnt turn me on in the 1st 10-20 seconds I move on.
    Most of the intro’s caught me, then other things began to happen. My brain said, “Wait, What?”
    Number 4 was my fav hands down, although all tracks had some parts that I found very redeeming!
    Since I am mostly a non-musicphile, I’ll clam.
    Thanks for the Fiver Ri! 😉

9. Lucky13
    June 12, 2010 | 12:53 am

1 – Really processed, but I like it. Don’t know who it is but it reminds me of Buckcherry. Trying not to like this but am unable. He’s trying way too hard with the vocals but it seems like this could be a big radio hit.

2 – Weird to start the vocals with harmonies. Singer almost reminds me of Perry Farrell at times. For a ‘mellow’ song, the drums are really frantic and sort of off-putting. Okay, but wouldn’t seek it out to hear it again.

3 – Is this Flight of the Conchords? The drum track is setting #3 on my Casio keyboard. Not feeling this one, the indulgent guitar noodling is kind of funny though. I still think this is Flight of the Conchords doing a Steely Dan cover.

4 – Now we’re talkin’. Almost gave me the musical bends after #3, should have decompressed for awhile. Needs a little less Space Truckin’ fuzz and a little heavier guitar but I’m digging it.

5 – What the hell? Is this another parody? Makes me think of Zappa and even System of a Down a bit. Like the horns, can’t make heads or tails of it though, which sort of makes it cool in its own way.

10. Ri, the MSM
    June 13, 2010 | 4:12 pm

Awwww, crap! I just realized it’s SUNDAY! Okay – I’ll post the Scoop right after dinner – I promise.

(like you’re all waiting breathlessly for it. bwah. 😉 )
    Ri, the MSM´s last blog post ..Friday Fiver – Volume 7, I think…