Friday Fiver: Volume…Next

Man, I really need to come up with more clever titles for these.  Even I’ve lost count at this point.

Okay, so…have at them!

Track 1:

Track 2:

Track 3:

Track 4:

Track 5:

18 Responses to Friday Fiver: Volume…Next
  1. ThePeachy1
    June 18, 2010 | 1:06 am

and away we go. ( disclaimer I have about as much taste and skill as a popsicle stick). Not saying I taste like wood, I might I don’t know. but I digress. here is my 2 cents.

#1 The Beatles and Johnny Cash has a baby and he wrote and performs this.
    #2 Here’s were MoTown makes a comeback…can’t help but come up with a smooth dance and make my kids learn it as we do a group dance.
    #3- Very listenable. wait that’s not a word, the begining worried me but then the mad keyboard synth got ahold of me then near the end, too much keyboard synth, this is one song that might be an example of less is more, lyrics good, good beat, great lead singer, but too much trying to slam funk in there.
    #4 I wanted to “stomp the yard” then “bring it” and then slam some biker against the wall and lick him, nice chick rock. anything that makes me wanna be a biker cheerleader in a scary bar is HOT.
    #5 massive guitar skills in this one, I sensed many styles in a really non functioning melting pot with the guitar, singer is not bad sounding either, but sometimes the usic there l the vocals are thee .. this style of music should clarify to all listener that is kind of misguided music should be labeled. meaneing they were dedicated and sounded god but \enjoyed it enjuff kept thinking a couple of those bandmates need to form their own band somewhere else Then we could have 2 awesome bands instead of I mediocre band. ..

and there you have my unqualified answer to your Friday Fier

2. Whelephant
    June 18, 2010 | 1:38 pm

I love the comments!
    Really liked #1: my son ran around dancing and bobbing his head to this one! And this was while Thomas was on TV to compete with…sorry Thomas!
    #2: I felt like strapping on the old school rollerskates and grooving to it..oh and my 3 year old son has a pair too- how cute would we look?
    not as much into the other ones..but I’m a little old fashioned with my musical tastes. I like stuff that’s new but familiar.

3. Mike G
    June 18, 2010 | 2:08 pm

Okay track 1 started out like a YeeHaw tune then started sounding like “The Monkees”, for me at least. It was a happy little tune. Track 2 has a beat and some horn (which I do like horn, or even COWBELL, If there is enough of either) but then there was too much early 60’s flav. It was not really me, but I have a twin brother (Marc G.) who might like it.
    Track 3 ..hmm what to say…Is it Seal with waa waa sounds and techno??? Track 4
    I not sure if they knew, but someone knows. Track 5 ,,sounding a bit “EYE RISH” at very first few seconds ( I am a bit surprised because now sounds a bit hillbilly . Now it has some good sounds (always like acoustic and a slide) Now I hear the step dancers tappin their clogs with a lead guitarist gettin’ it. Banjo Dan is getting his licks in now too. Lets all yell “Woo Hoo”. I actually like Track 5 the best…mostly FER da Jammin’ in the end. So “Ri” ever play “Fish Heads Fish Heads Rollie Pollie Fish Heads” for your fans?? If ya haven’t heard it ya gotta. Easy to youtube it. Or maybe ya could play a little Dr. Demento tracks….. on say….Wacky Wednesday???

4. The MuseBox
    June 18, 2010 | 2:21 pm

Five great new songs for a Friday from @musicsavvymom … Friday Fiver: Volume…Next – http://b2l.me/4jrfn

5. DiPM
    June 18, 2010 | 2:38 pm

Okay track one just sort of freaked me out. It’s like Liverpool meets Little Rock, and that’s just wrong.

Track 2 reminds me of when my little brother used to do that flicking his cheek to make a hollow noise.. annoying yet nostalgic. Track 4 takes me WAY back in the day to Siouxsie and The Banshees.

Now I have this odd desire to listen to a Flogging Molly, Randy Travis, Bay City Rollers mashup.

6. Alex
    June 18, 2010 | 2:50 pm

Track #1 is cute – sort of Beatle-esque with an up-tempo feel. I like it. Track #2 sounds like the Jackson 5 with lower voices. Track 3 sounds devoid of real instruments.

7. Mari
    June 18, 2010 | 3:32 pm

Dude. You’ve truly outdone yourself with this one, as far as I’m concerned. I needed this list, I’ve had a shit week! 😉

1. This song is fun to the point of being Mungo Jerry “In the Summertime” goofy. Grateful Dead meets Simon & Garfunkel meets jug band. I like it but not the singer’s overly-nasal delivery.

2. Ooh, that’s like butter. Makes me want to dance in the kitchen to it. Which I will do a bit later. Yeah I love this one.

3. I really like that drummy bit there in the beginning. I really don’t like that electronic twangy bit that follows it. But then the dude started singing and I kind of like it. Although I have to say this reminds me of a song you would hear over the credits of an 80s teen movie.

4. Ooooooh yeah. That’s my jam. This will be going on my “music to run to” playlist ASAP. That right there is a tasty nugget. The song seemed to cut off, though. Bummer.

5. Like the banjo (?) in the beginning; has a “Sweet Melissa” vibe. Love the swampy/jangly vibe. I love the underproduced quality that this has. I like to hear the singer’s voice break every now & again, hear the slide across the strins. Good stuff.

8. Jennifer Kohanim
    June 18, 2010 | 4:51 pm

Fun to be a music critic every once in a while 😉 RT @MusicSavvyMom Friday Fiver is up. Go ahead + get ur Music Critic on http://ow.ly/205VD

9. MariFarthing
    June 18, 2010 | 7:33 pm

RT @TopsyRT: Friday Fiver: Volume…Next http://bit.ly/9Dyg0a <- go here, listen and comment. Because I did.

10. Trish
    June 18, 2010 | 9:48 pm

#1 – love the tune, really catchy – makes me want to take a road trip. really well produced.
    #2 – sounds like it’s right out of the ’70s (ala Jackson 5). nice horn section.
    #3 – started out a little weak, but grew on me. solos are a bit anemic, tho
    #4 – love female singers with balls! but the song get cut off before the end!
    #5 – kinda like this tune cuz of the slide guitar and blue grass feel

11. The Eagles Suck
    June 18, 2010 | 10:02 pm

Track 1. Sounds like Paul Simon singing a really shitty song

2. Motown but not in a good way, Jackson 5 sounding without an abused child lead singer. I’d much rather hear something closer to Sam Cooke or Marvin Gaye

3. I hope that wasn’t a keytar I heard

4. Solid straight ahead rock song,

5. Easily the best song here, but I’m an alt country guy so maybe I’m biased

12. FM
    June 19, 2010 | 9:41 pm

I liked #1 the best, I liked the wavy effect and it had a fun dancy feel, reminded me of the Monkees too.

13. crystalalene
    June 19, 2010 | 11:00 pm

I like the comments…
    Number one is the easiest to listen to, fun, catchy, and nostalgic.
    Two is too much like an oldie I’ve never heard before, not creative.
    Three is not my style.
    Four is too harsh for my taste.
    Five, interesting, not something I’d go looking for.

14. Lucky13
    June 20, 2010 | 10:18 am

Sorry I’m late to the party. Let’s see what ya brung!

1 – Like the intro, then it gets super busy. Really nasally vocals, so much going on between the jaw harp and the fast vibro amp thing, this would probably sound better on speakers than through headphones. Melody reminded me of a Glen Campbell song I can’t think of.

2 – Liking this. Reminds me of Expressway to Your Heart. Also: Mmmm-Bop. About halfway through I start thinking this is probably a white guy singing and now I don’t like it as much. Great horns. Can see this one holding up to repeated listenings. Cool tune.

3 – Weird intro. The “what you want, what you need” part makes me drift off and start singing “Finest Worksong” by REM in my head. Enjoying the REM song more. This isn’t bad but I wouldn’t seek it out to listen to it again.

4 – Intro percussion makes me think of Rock & Roll Radio. Then Joan Jett jumps into my head. Digging this one. Like the near-overload mixing on the vocals. Chorus is going to be stuck in my head for awhile. Need to dust off my old L7 cassettes. Best tune so far.

5 – Wondering what kind of guitar that is on the intro, I like it. Digging the riff but could definitely do without the hand claps, they don’t fit at all. This would be a good road trip song, driving on a hot day with no AC and all the windows down. Wow, wish my computer had a hand clap filter, they are really distracting. Yay, banjo!

15. Mike
    June 20, 2010 | 4:37 pm

1) Beatles ala Monkees flavor. Good production and commercial potential.

2) Jackson 5 meets The Cleanup Woman. Good production and commercial potential.

3) Electronic and Disco. Mmm, not sure about this one.

4) Good production and commerial potential.

5) Started out with a Mountain meets Zep vibe then went Country. No shortage of versatility and all songs well produced.

16. RiRi
    June 21, 2010 | 1:35 pm

Lovin’ number 2. Makes me wanna get my groove back. And Track 4 feels like early Garbage meets early Hole–very nice! Track 3 is interesting but the solo is a little too synthie. Luv the guitar on Track 5.

17. Lynda
    June 21, 2010 | 8:41 pm

Track #1 was really fun to listen too. I can definitiely see my kids and i bouncing to it as I drive them all over town.

18. Evelyn
    June 25, 2010 | 10:38 am

What a groovy, cool tune the whole family can enjoy. My 2 1/2 year old daughter and I took out some instruments and danced around and jammed along to it!