88 Lines About 44 Women…or, “iPod Shuffle Quiz – Parent Edition”

(Click “play”, then continue reading…)

You’ve seen these, right?  The iPod Shuffle Quiz meme that goes around via Email and Facebook.  You copy and paste the questions, filling in your own answers to the random questions with the song titles that come up…then pass it on to annoy other folks on your friends’ list.

It’s one of those mindless, timewasting diversions that I cannot seem to resist.  I stop what I’m doing EVERY DAMN TIME and shuffle. It’s as if I’m powerless.

I’ve noticed, though, that the questions were likely devised by a teenager.  I mean “What do you want to do when you grow up?”  “What do you think when you see the person you like?” Yeah, right.  Now, I understand that this probably means that grown women of my age SHOULD NOT BE WASTING TIME like this…but, c’mon.  My entire blog is meant to waste time with music.

And so, I did it.  Again.  But…I changed the questions.

Now, just for fun, and in the interest of spreading some musical silliness in the middle of an otherwise mundane week, I invite you to shuffle, too!  It affords us a peek into what makes you tick – because one’s choice of music says VOLUMES.  Some answers make absolutely no sense, some are poignant, and occasionally you get one that  just cracks you up!  So, whaddaya say – put off the dusting for ten minutes and play along.  Do five questions, ten, or the whole twenty – whatever you have time for. ;)

Just follow the directions below, then come back and link up with the Mr. Linky Magical Thingie so we can come check out your answers and find some OTHER music lovin’ Mamas to read.  You can add a playlist too if you like, but not necessary – just have fun!  Matter of fact – you don’t even have to do the meme…just link us to any post about music that you have lying around if you’re pressed for time.  It would be nice to “expand the MSM neighborhood!”

(I’ve never used the Linky thing – exciting!  Unless no one links up and I look like a big loser.  Ah, well – I like to live dangerously…)

——————————————————————————

Directions:

1. Copy and paste the list below into a new post on your blog. (Or, if you HAVE no blog or website to link to…then click HERE to go to the MSM Forum and play along with us there!
2. Put your iPod, iTunes, Windows Media Player, etc. on shuffle.
3. For each question, press the next button to get your answer.
4. YOU MUST WRITE THAT SONG NAME DOWN NO MATTER HOW SILLY IT SOUNDS. (Well, type it.  And remember to replace my answers with yours.)

***Now…in the interest of full disclosure, I’ll tell you that I had two computers with two iTunes shuffling, because I have different music on each.  So, I picked the more fun song of the two each time.  Because I’m a big cheater.  But, hopefully an entertaining cheater. ;) )

——————————————————————————-

1.  Your child(ren) ask for the same toy 76 times during a single trip to Target.  You say:
“Closing Time” – Leonard Cohen

2.  First PTA meeting of the year.  As you meet other parents, how do you describe yourself?
“Too Much Sex (Too Little Jesus)” – Drive By Truckers

Oh.  NICE.  Guess I won’t be running for PTA President…unless I move to Harper Valley. ;)

3.  Most desirable quality in a Nanny/Babysitter?
“Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof off the Sucker)” – Parliament

4.  You’ve been up all night with your infant.  You still have to function today…perhaps even dress and go out!  How do you feel about this?
“There Goes the Fear” – Sigur Ros

5.  Aside from being an awesome parent…what is your life’s purpose?
“Hemingway’s Whiskey” – Guy Clark

(Well, make it Scotch and you may have something there…)

6.  Let’s say you had to have a “Family Motto”.  What’s yours?
“Disclaimer” – The Dears

(bwahahahahahahaha!)

7.  Ahhhh, Wisteria Lane!  What do your neighbors REALLY think of you?
“Walking in the Sunshine” – Roger Miller

8.  How do your parents think you’re doing with this parenting gig…as compared to how THEY did with you?
“I’m Not Gonna Let it Bother Me Tonight” – Atlanta Rhythm Section

(This is funny when you know the lyrics:  “Lawd, lawd, lawd.  We got nothin’ but trouble.  I’ve done all I can do today…I wantcha to pour me a double right now!” )

9.  Kids are finally sleeping; you’re wide awake in the middle of the night.  What are you likely thinking about?
“My Maudlin Career” – Camera Obscura

(Exactly.  Right, Rock and Roll Mama? ;) )

10.  What’s the current condition of the Family Budget?
“100 Dollars” – Manchester Orchestra

(I genuinely spit coffee out when I saw this one…it had better not be a premonition!)

11.  Spill it – what do you REALLY think of your In Laws?
“Steady as She Goes” – The Raconteurs

12.  It’s Saturday – kids are at the Grandparents.  What kicks off your “Date Night Soundtrack”?
“Virtual Insanity” – Jamiroquai

13.  Summarize your concept of “Good Parenting”…
“Pure Imagination” – Smoking Popes

(LOVE this.  Love, love, love!  Way to go, iTunes!)

14.  Kids are grown and out of the house…you’re retired.  What do you want to be doing?
“Afternoon Delight” – Starland Vocal Band

(BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!)

15.  Your husband/wife/significant other walks in cheerfully at the end of the day.  You’ve been home with the kid(s) all day and are wiped out.  Your first thought when you see them?
“Hello Trouble” – Buck Owens

(I swear to cheeses, this was not a plant.  It REALLY came up.)

16.  What will you dance to at your child’s wedding?
“Roll Up Your Sleeves” – We Were Promised Jetpacks

17.  Assuming you have extra time…what is your hobby/interest?
“Taking the Day Off” – General Public

(Uh huh.  Got me pegged.  The only one better would have been “Sleep” by The Dandy Warhols…)

18.  What is your biggest fear?
“Folding Money” – Radney Foster

(More specifically, the fear of NO folding money.  See question number 10.)

19.  Your theory on disciplining children?
“What Keeps Mankind Alive” – Tom Waits

20.  You finally get a “Girls (or Guys) Night Out!”  What do you think of your friends?
“You Are the Best Thing” – Ray LaMontagne

(Perfect.)

What will you post this as?
“88 Lines About 44 Women” – The Nails

(Okay – that means at least 44 of you have to do this – spread the word!!)

31 Responses to 88 Lines About 44 Women…or, “iPod Shuffle Quiz – Parent Edition”
  1. dy77
    June 15, 2010 | 11:01 am

Wow I never use my Live Journal so this was a perfect use for it, and kind of fun but weird how some of the shuffles matched up perfectly! I hope no one thinks my music taste is too lame. It is sometimes, but I like lots of stuff, am very open-minded to music.

June 15, 2010 | 11:06 am

Mine is complete and on the forum! Thanks Ri

dy77~ no one’s music taste is “lame”. We all like what we like! (that’s why there’s menu’s at restaurants!) *wink*

3. Amanda@High Impact Mom.com
    June 15, 2010 | 11:26 am

Hey Ri! Great time-waster! :) This was fun! We went to see Weezer over the weekend, so that’s all that is on my playlist! The answers are totally how they appear on my list..weird! Thanks for this :)

4. Aparna Vashisht
    June 15, 2010 | 11:35 am

Thanks for inviting us! I will check out the music. I like #2. :)

5. singlemama_cc
    June 15, 2010 | 12:03 pm

SO much fun Ri!! Thanks
    XOXO
    singlemama_cc´s last blog ..Sunshine, swings and smiles (updated)My ComLuv Profile

June 15, 2010 | 12:41 pm

What better way to waste time than with music and/or the internet? Unless maybe tv, but only if Matthew Gray Gubler is on….but I digress. Mine’s up (sans playlist, sorry!) Please visit! I’ll get around to everyone else’s tonight after work :)
    This Belle Rocks´s last blog ..The body’s a templeMy ComLuv Profile

7. Mari
    June 15, 2010 | 12:59 pm

Dude, I flove you. Done and done.

8. melisa with one s
    June 15, 2010 | 1:03 pm

I have to get to work but will do this later today!!! :)
    melisa with one s´s last blog ..Couch To 5K Update: Mind GamesMy ComLuv Profile

9. Dorothy Yeager
    June 15, 2010 | 3:09 pm

Hey kill time do this ipod shuffle game if you are bored & need something to do online RT@MusicSavvyMom http://ow.ly/1YJbj

10. Lisa
    June 15, 2010 | 4:05 pm

too much fun…..

11. Melisa with one S
    June 15, 2010 | 5:16 pm

This is why I’m hot! hahahahaha
    Melisa with one S´s last blog ..Couch To 5K Update: Mind GamesMy ComLuv Profile

12. marifarthing
    June 15, 2010 | 5:55 pm

RT @MusicSavvyMom: "iPod Shuffle Quiz – Parent Edition." Now with all new questions that I just made up. Go, play!! http://ow.ly/1YRVp

13. ThePeachy1
    June 15, 2010 | 11:36 pm

Done and on the forum. I am embarrassed that 3 of those songs on in my music collection to begin with, and of course they showed up. My luck… also my milkshake doesn’t bring anyone to the yard.. it was my first MEME, thanks Ri, and it was fun…

14. singlemama CC
    June 16, 2010 | 12:48 am

RT @MusicSavvyMom: "iPod Shuffle Quiz – Parent Edition". Come play and link your blog! http://ow.ly/1Z1wg

15. Brutalism
    June 16, 2010 | 10:38 am

As we know all too well, I do not own an iPod and can therefore, not participate. But I did enjoy yours immensely.

16. Heidi
    June 16, 2010 | 4:17 pm

A lot of my shuffled answers were seriously non sequiturs, but it was fun playing anyway!

• oh_pook
      June 16, 2010 | 5:08 pm

Your #4 Australia was perfect… did you ever read Alexander and Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day? heh heh!!

My oldest child’s 5th grade teacher had an area called “Australia” in the classroom for those days that just suck…

June 17, 2010 | 9:38 am

Hey, Heidi! Long time no see! So glad you’re back – now, hang out a while, will ya? ;)

• Heidi
        June 17, 2010 | 4:08 pm

I didn’t leave … I’ve just been a Lazy Lurker ;)
        Heidi´s last blog ..True FaithMy ComLuv Profile

17. Jenny, Bloggess
    June 17, 2010 | 2:33 pm

As always, excellent taste in music, my friend.

18. David Pittman
    June 17, 2010 | 6:44 pm

Can't wait to try! RT @MusicSavvyMom iPod Shuffle Quiz, Parent Ed. Yep, I've started a meme. Come play; link your blog! http://ow.ly/1ZwvM

19. frozen oceans « soft skies
    June 18, 2010 | 7:53 pm

[...] Jun i stole this from Melisa who stole it from Ri.  Ri also has a Mr. Linky on her original post that you can use to expose yourself and your eclectic musical tastes to others. you don’t [...]

20. Not Your Average Single Mama » Love You
    October 29, 2010 | 8:05 pm

[...] Wanna play? Just follow the directions from Ri and then show off your playlist on her linkydink [...]

21. vitra
    July 19, 2012 | 4:07 pm

obviously like your web-site but you have to test the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I in finding it very troublesome to tell the reality however I’ll surely come again again.

22. Demarcus Pulis
    August 13, 2013 | 3:32 pm

hello!,I really like your writing so a lot! percentage we keep in touch extra approximately your article on AOL? I need an expert in this area to solve my problem. May be that’s you! Looking ahead to look you.