Friday Fiver – Back to Normal!

Yes, after a couple weeks of deviating from our tried and true “Fiver” schedule, I’m back to the routine and kickin’ it old skool…which is to say, ‘using all new music’!

So, you regulars who like to get your Music Critic on can come back now. 😉

Have at it, gang!

Track 1:

Track 2:

Track 3:

Track 4:

Track 5:

12 Responses to Friday Fiver – Back to Normal!
  1. Ash
    July 23, 2010 | 1:02 pm

1. I have been on this guy/gal singing combo kick for a while and this song fits the bill nicely. I like it. My kind of vibe.
    2. I have heard this band/song before and cannot put my finger on it… But I will say, as someone who doesn’t mind repetition in a song, this was a bit much for me. Like Rock Lobster. Only so much of that I can take, but I don’t hate it.
    3. This has the right recipe for my typical tastes, but i am not sure it cooked the right amount of time for me to fully enjoy it
    4. Bingo. But big surprise there…
    5. I was been wanting to use the word “jaunty” for a while now. Now I can. It describes this song perfectly.

Good 5er.

2. mari
    July 23, 2010 | 3:07 pm

Yay! Glad you’re back on the fiver :)
    Here are my comments:

1. Ooh a bit of the ‘Phantom of the Opera’ vibe going. But not in a bad way. My only criticism would be that the guy has a bit of ‘The Count’ going on in his voice! Funky and fun, I like this one, it skates dangerously on the edge of quirky meets goofy.

2. Yeah I like it. The horns are surprising. The singer sounds a bit like Jonathan Tylor & the Northern Lights to me. Kind of reminiscient of the Hives also. 10 thumbs up, 2 stars, whatever. Me likey.

3. I agree with Ash’s comment above – it’s a bit underdone for me too. It’s missing something. I think they need to turn down the treble, turn up the bass a bit.

4. Hmm. This one has the gritty but not totally my joint, a bit emo for me. The lyrics get me though (“one man’s limo is another man’s hearse”) and that would bring me back.

5. I thought this one was okay, but I was doing a few other things while listening to this, and before I realized it, me and both kids were bopping around to the beat. A keeper for us. Bonus points for using both banjo & harmonica.

• Indian
      April 28, 2016 | 3:37 am

Shoot, so that’s that one suospsep.

• car insurance
      May 15, 2016 | 8:25 pm

I’d venture that this article has saved me more time than any other.

• car insurance quotes
      June 4, 2016 | 9:47 am

Super Video und sehr sympatisch der Herr Jungwinzer.Werde auf jeden Fall was bei ihm bestellen.Ich liebe mittlerweile Moselweine,was nicht immer so war.Mein großer Favorit ist Stefan Steinmetz mit seinen Weinen die ich toll finde. Chapeau,weiter so !

• aim insurance of texas
      October 26, 2016 | 8:22 am

Calling all cars, calling all cars, we’re ready to make a deal.

3. MariFarthing
    July 23, 2010 | 7:01 pm

RT @MusicSavvyMom: Friday Fiver up (finally!) at Music Savvy Mom. Kickin' it Old Skool – which means New Music! http://ow.ly/2fHWm

July 23, 2010 | 7:31 pm

Oh good, Ri’s back with the traditional Fiver!!!!

I was hoping for the Fiver before work this morning… and presently I’m wiped. Actually I’m hoping to sneak in a nap and go hear some music tonight….
    (I can’t wait to listen tomorrow morning with my coffee!!!)

*waves to Ash*
    nice to see you

(((Mari and Ri too of course)))

July 24, 2010 | 9:43 am

#1~ Overall I liked the song… The girl’s voice I totally dug (it reminds me of Kate Pierson from the B-52’s) The guy’s voice I liked and found interesting at first, but then it started bugging me (kinda like Billy Corgan does to my ears)
    Glad you posted about Phantom Mari! I agree

#2~ It was alright… lyrics leave something to be desired… I think I’d switch stations for the last 30 seconds if it came on the radio

#3~ Agree with the ladies… sounds a little “hollow”… the music on the chorus totally remindes me of Love Vigilantes on speed though

#4~ Dig the whole song

#5~ OMG!! Broken Hearts and Dirty Window is high on my CD purchase list… may have to do it today! AB are coming here in Sept… think I may need to get those tickets soon!!!

Thanks Ri!!!

6. katie v
    July 24, 2010 | 1:47 pm

RT @musicsavvymom: Friday Fiver up (finally!) at Music Savvy Mom. http://ow.ly/2fHWm

7. MisterLucky13
    July 25, 2010 | 11:21 pm

Yay, it’s back! Saw that you already had the answers up, not gonna read them till after I listen. Lets see what’s on the plate…

1 – Digging the guitar intro but they could lose the ‘tink tink tink’ percussion. Wow, this totally sounds like a lost track from the Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack, as sung by Riff Raff & Magenta. Are they singing about Eskimoes? Mumbling break is 20 seconds I’ll never get back. Hey, that was a cool jam!

2 – Reminds me of Big Audio Dynamite’s ‘Rush’. Chorus reminds me of Joan Jett’s ‘Do You Wanna Touch’. Repetitive. Guessing this song took less time to write than it did to listen to. I should like this but I don’t. Unclear: Are heads gonna roll?

3 – Okay, I thought the last song was repetitive. A little frantic, though I dig the mixing and overall sound, sounds like they’re singing in a subway station. Or a Subway bathroom. I have the feeling I wouldn’t get along with this woman at all. Cool listen, wouldn’t seek it out to hear it again.

4 – Wow, this one’s all over the place. This really makes me think of Jim Carroll, though it also reminds me of ’88 Lines About 44 Women’. The Nails, was it? Weird slow-down with 1:03 left reminds me both of NIN and Cake . Well, that was fun, would like to hear it again!

5 – Oh no, banjo. Yikes. “Four of these things belong together, four of these things are kinda of the same. But one of these things just doesn’t belong here, tell me, can you guess which one”? Not digging this, very smartass, self-aware and annoying but maybe it’s just the context.