I love them in just about every context that they can be used. I love to write them, I love to read them, and Lord knows that anyone who’s met me in person or talked to me on the phone can vouch for how much I love to SAY them.
One of the most magical and beautiful ways words affect me, though, is when they’re set to music. Seriously – I often marvel at how powerfully the mixture of a particular melody and certain words can evoke emotion. Each may stand on its own – as an instrumental song and a poem, for instance, and be enjoyed as such. But, when woven together…*sigh*. Magic!
(Well, sometimes. Sometimes it’s just pure shit, but I’m trying to paint a picture here. Go with it.)
As I sat here deluged with post topics that I SHOULD be writing about and little desire to delve into any of them at this time of night…I started singing along with the random songs that I’ve got playing in the background. And of course, I was distracted.
Oooh, look! A bunny!
So, I decided to pull out an old favorite pastime that we’ve enjoyed together before. I randomly skimmed through some music and grabbed fifteen songs that I can ABSOLUTELY recognize just from the first line or two of lyrics. Y’know – ones that immediately start playing in your head the moment you hear – or even SEE – the first few words? And I’ve put them down for you below.
FIRST: Just read through and see if you know them. (Googling is cheating. You can do it, but then it’ll be on YOUR head. Honor system applies.)
NEXT: If you know some, put the number and the corresponding song title/artist down in the comments. You’ll know a bunch, so I expect you to make lists.
AFTER YOU’VE GUESSED AND COMMENTED: Then go to the songs at the end, listen and check yourself. Instant gratification – how can you beat it?
You’re not winning anything but bragging rights, so don’t get too excited. And, I didn’t throw in any brand new or obscure ones. Matter of fact, if you lived through the ’70s, ’80s OR ’90s – you should be set. It’s just one of those pleasant timewasters that might help you get through Monday.
We’ll see who gets the most. 😉
1. Them that’s got shall have; them that’s not shall lose…so the Bible says, and it still is news…
2. When the world is a monster that swallows you whole; kick the clay that holds the teeth in…throw your troubles out the door.
3. Another head hangs lowly, child is slowly taken. And the violence caused such silence; who are we mistaken?
4. I would say I’m sorry if I thought that it would change your mind; but I know that this time I have said too much, been too unkind.
5. Don’t ask me what you know is true. Don’t have to tell me – I love your precious heart.
6. If you smile at me, I will understand – cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.
7. Was it all in that pretty little head of yours? What goes on in that place in the dark?
8. Time, time, time – see what’s become of me? While I wait around for my possibilities…
9. Don’t wanna be trusted…think it’s time for a change. You may get disgusted – start thinking that I’m strange.
10. Sometimes I feel like I don’t have a partner – sometimes I feel like my only friend is the city I live in, the City of Angels.
11. Darling, you’ve got to let me know:
12. Oh the heads that turn make my back burn. Oh the heads that turn…make my back, make my back burn.
13. Freezin’, rests his head on a pillow made of concrete. Again. Oh, feelin’ maybe he’ll see a little better set of days.
14. There’s an army on the dance floor, it’s a passion with a gun my love. In a room without a door, are kisses not enough?
15. Oh, darlin’…you got the love I need. Baby – more than enough.