So, d’you know how much I LOVE it when I’m right? Ah…SO much. Truly. And this is one of those times…
On my “First Music Blog”, Vacuity, I wrote the following post on March 13, 2009:
Now, I would be remiss not to thank Jason Castro & Castrocopia for turning me on to this band, and then my girl Ash of Behind the Lens and 3 Hearts Media for feeding my inner fangirl. It’s been incredible watching the climb, because…
Since that post, JTNL:
- have toured with Kid Rock and Lynyrd Skynyrd.
- have worked/recorded with the likes of Black Crowes‘ Rich Robinson and Jay Joyce.
- are part of the Lynryd Skynryd “Simple Man” Cruise coming in January 2010.
- are a band to watch at the Austin City Limits Music Festival next weekend.
- have just recently finished recording a new CD expected out soon…
and when it hits, they are going to BLOW UP.
Yep, if you need some kick ass rock with a side of Texas hell-yeah, followed by a groove so slow and soulful that you’d swear it made your backbone shift uncontrollably…well, this is the band for you. Pure, raw talent is the drive here – undeniable. What they’ve put together doesn’t just happen, even with hard work (and this band has an unbelievable work ethic.) No, sometimes you have to acknowledge when the magic is present…and the magic that is Jonathan Tyler and the Northern Lights will engulf you.
Jonathan Tyler – or JT as we’ll call him – is a dynamo. I don’t know if this kid lives on Red Bull and Sugar Cubes or what, but he may well be challenging the late great JAMES BROWN as the hardest working man in show business. He’s mixture of ethereal gypsy, Southern gentleman and riverboat gambler, leveled out with a sharecropper’s passion and sweat equity. In other words – he’s the consummate musician, possessing the ability to hone his craft to such a degree as to deliver perfection to the audience effortlessly. He’s the host who makes you feel completely comfortable the moment you meet him. Listening to JTNL is natural, comfortable…visceral.
The band of artists that make up the Northern Lights are a force in their own right. Jordan, Nick, Kansas and Ms. Emotion Brown have all brought mad skills to the table and make this musical feast complete. And by all accounts…this entire gang is just “good people“. That’s extra sauce on top of an already damn good slab of ribs!
But, don’t take MY word for it…simmer in THIS for a bit:
Yeah. TOLD you. woooooooo HOO!
My good buddy Rock and Roll Mama is heading out to Austin City Limits Music Festival next week, and hopefully will get some time with JTNL and bring us back more goodies…because you can never get enough of a good thing.
Now, sweetheart that he is, JT shuffled for us, too…his playlist is below. It’s damn nice. After you listen, be sure to comment, because
I’ll be GIVING AWAY a copy of their current CD: Hot Trottin’. Drawing will be via random.org from comments, so holla!
1. Dead Weather – So Far From Your Weapon – (Horehound)
2. Cage the Elephant – “Drone in the Valley” – (Cage the Elephant)
3. Brian Jonestown Massacre – #1 Hit Jam – (Tepid Peppermint Wonderland)
4. Bon Iver – Flume – (For Emma, Forever Ago)
5. Pink Floyd – Brain Damage – (Dark Side of the Moon)
6. Nas – Halftime – (illmatic)
7. Led Zeppelin – Good Times, Bad Times – (Led Zeppelin I)
8. Allman Brothers Band – Mountain Jam – (Live from Fillmore East)
9. Ryan Adams – Please Do Not Let Me Go – (Love is Hell)
10. The Faces – “Stay With Me” – (A Nod is as Good as a Wink)
As always, if you love it…buy it.
Follow JTNL on
And comment for a chance to win!